Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: Timing belt tensioner pulley

Users Country Flag

Help: Timing belt tensioner pulley

Hi there, I cant find enough information about this anywhere. Do u guys know if the original timing belt tensioner pulley on BJX/BBU engines has the washer between the engine block and the tensioner pulley? if it does are u meant to put it on the new pulley if it doesn't come with the new kit?

The thing is that The tentioner pulley I'm looking to buy is specificely for BJX/BBU engines but doesn't come with the washer (like other pullyes for the other 1.8t engines with diffferent engine codes) this one has this circular raised section on the back of the pulley where normally washer sits and I'm not sure if that raised section is there to act like a washer or u're meant to use your old one and put it on.

1st: the picture of the tensioner for BJX/BBU (with raised section on the back ) and the 2nd one for different 1.8t engine codes with the washer. Thanks for any help.

Help: Timing belt tensioner pulley-ina-jpg Help: Timing belt tensioner pulley-tensioner-jpg

Users Country Flag
    I have two in the garage so I can check in a bit. From memory they dont have a seperate washer that goes under them. The BJX head has a nice machined coin sized surface that the tensioner simply bolts against. I'll check in a bit.

Users Country Flag
    For now maybe just check that yours is for an 06A transverse engine. It could be 058 codes or north south engines that run the washer maybe?

I've got a Gates Timing Belt Kit K055491XS in the garage ready to go. Apparently that's all the correct gear, will know in the next week or two.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    Ok so the pics you uploaded in the first post - my NTN Japan tensioner looks like the one in the pic on the left. See how the hole that the bolt goes through is eccentric on that central section. That's the BJX one. The bronze coloured eccentric bit isn't a washer, it is integral/pressed into the whole assembly. You use a two pin tool to set a macro tension position to the tensioner and then bolt it in place (that's the part played by the eccentric portion) and then the hydraulic tensioner that comes in the kit gets released against that silver flange on the roller to apply final running tension to the belt.
    The one in the pic on the right seems to have the bolt running through the middle of the tensioner mounting surface which is deferent to the ones I've used before. I have a tensioner roller and hydraulic tensioner in boxes, all new. Youd only then need a belt and a water pump. Up to you but if you can get a price on those I'm sure I could fix you up with those bits cheap if you want, or at min you could eye ball them to get some clarity on what you're getting. They are only extras to me cos I run fixed tensioners now.

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi Sambb

Yeah the one in the pic on the left is only for BJX /BBU engines according to part shops websites and the other one is for different engine codes apparently , so no washer then,thanks for clarifying that....I just wasn't sure coz I read somewhere on the EU forums that the original one on the BJX had washer under it (somebody mentioned) so I didn't know if I need to re-use it if there is any or what. I want to do the timing belt and water pump and all that and also the cam chain tensioner with half moon seal and maybe even oil pump, haven't had any problems with oil pressure yet but I've been advised to do it before it goes bad so I'll see how that goes...have you changed yours yet? don't even know if there is any service interval for it..but apparently they can get clogged up easily.
    Thanks for the parts offered but I'm no longer in Australia, left 2 years ago, moved back home to Slovakia..used to have Polo in Sydney.
    I've got little Seat ibiza cupra 1.8t BBU (same engine as polo cup edition) thats why I still check this forum from time to time...there's lot of good stuff on here, heaps of info too. Cheers

Thanks h100vw, good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by seangti View Post
    I've got a Gates Timing Belt Kit K055491XS in the garage ready to go. Apparently that's all the correct gear, will know in the next week or two.
    yeah I've seen that one, it should be the correct one...when u do it can u pls let me know if your original one was the same design as the new one in the Gates kit or if it had any washer under it ? (just curious) thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by MikyHRC View Post
    yeah I've seen that one, it should be the correct one...when u do it can u pls let me know if your original one was the same design as the new one in the Gates kit or if it had any washer under it ? (just curious) thanks mate.
    Ok yup, started pulling bits off last night. Won’t happen fast, but will happen.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast