Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help: Timing belt tensioner pulley

Quote Originally Posted by MikyHRC View Post
    yeah I've seen that one, it should be the correct one...when u do it can u pls let me know if your original one was the same design as the new one in the Gates kit or if it had any washer under it ? (just curious) thanks mate.
    Hi, I got everything off last night. Yeah it's all the same as to what's on the car and the Gates kit. There was no washer under the tensioner pulley. The gear coming off feels and looks much the same as the new stuff. No signs of wear, play, etc, in any of it.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by seangti View Post
    Hi, I got everything off last night. Yeah it's all the same as to what's on the car and the Gates kit. There was no washer under the tensioner pulley. The gear coming off feels and looks much the same as the new stuff. No signs of wear, play, etc, in any of it.
    Perfect, thanks mate, appreciate it...I'll be doing mine next weekend together with cam tensioner and oil pump. Hopefully it goes smoothly.

I'd ballsed up when putting the hydraulic tensioner on and released the bloody pin from it. I don't have a bench vice, though my tensioner seems to have quite a bit of low resistance / free play at full extension. The old, removed one is rocket solid, the new one can be compressed about 1/3 with my finger. Just checking with a few "in the know" to see if I've stuffed the tensioner, or it's faulty, or if it's safe to install.

Buggered my sunday as I had a few hours without the family to get it back together and did this...

Releasing the clamp was my fault. It was putting load the hydraulic tensioner piston against the hydraulic roller when trying to install as I didn't have a spare hand to hold the roller bit up whilst trying to get the top screw in.

So I need to validate the tensioner isn't stuffed, than compress somehow, and try again.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag

If you can push the pin back in with finger pressure then I'd say its cactus. I had one that was fully extended accidentally and I squeezed it back in bit by bit with a vice before re-pinning it. Never could have done that with finger pressure unless you are some kind of mutant rock climber. Not sure what your time line is but I have one right here brand new that I can send you. Its an NTN. I'll post it to you tomorrow if you want cos I wouldn't trust yours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12