Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help.. ABS, ESP then Steering and tyres warning lights on 2006 Polo GTI

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sikman View Post
    Update:

Went out and tested battery again and now for some reason while car is running battery volts are back to around 14V....not sure what to think now as previously it would only go to 13V max
    Current that the alternator is putting out is an important factor that lots of folk over look. It could be there was a big short like Guy believes. If the draw is hard enough voltage will drop.

Most of those codes look like a flat battery could have caused them. Maybe the alternator isn't as good as it could be, duff rectifier or a high resistance in the circuit that you were measuring through, skewing the results. A bad earth or battery clamp??

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy_H View Post
    Normally this problem is the power steering (pump) unit - internal short pulls the voltage down on that entire bus. If you check the wiring diagram, you will see that is the first point the voltage passes through.

I would almost bet beer on it.
    It might be as bad as Guy_H is describing, will continue to investigate....

Bad news, came home from work today, turned hard right to get into driveway and then back hard left to reverse out and guess what, power steering went funny again, I could also hear a pump noise and a thud thud thud constant noise pulsing, turned car off and back on again and it cleared. Will pull error codes later.

Users Country Flag
    Bit busy at work at the moment to go into detail but a similar thing happened to me last week, lights on the dash came on while driving so I pulled over immediately and turned the car off and on to find they were still there. Turned the car off, fiddled with the battery and let it sit for 5 mins... turned the key again and clock had been reset but otherwise was back to normal until I got home where it happened to me again. Hasn't happened since though.

I'm going to start by replacing the Earth strap after reading this:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...tch-70962.html
    Last edited by CJHOOKR; 04-03-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Dont poke and hope, scan, smoke and scope
    Users Country Flag
    The alt to batt positive cable can get brittle and cause resistance which can also cause dramas. Allsorts of stuff can cause this , with the diagram you can check what all the open circuit faults are and you will find they are all linked to a common source. Ah my favourite type of faults. Anyway good luck

Jmac
    Alba European
    Service, Diagnostics and repairs. Mobile Diag available on request
    Audi/VW/Porsche Factory trained tech 25+ yrs exp
    For people who value experience call 0423965341

More updates:
    Loss of electric assistance Steering and most lights on the dash still coming on, its really hard to turn full lock to pull out of a parking space, it was intermittent before every few days but now it happens all the time, yesterday I drove home for 30mins with no power steering, that was fun.

New issues and new fault has comes up, while stopped at Red lights the car engine will hesitate and then BOOM everything is cut off and lose all ignition/engine, quick flick of the key and back to idle, has happened 3 times since yesterday.

When car is in a SPASTIC state I check battery volts and its at 12.8V, turn key off then back on again car starts with no errors and now has 14V. Something is pulling voltages down on the system to cause all these errors, and when it gets bad will pull enuff to shutdown the whole car.

I've also noticed that when it shuts down my Trip meter reset back to 0km, Will be taking car to my mechanics today for a full inspection of electrical wiring, earth, fuses, etc.....

Also new code appearing:
    Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 6Q0-959-433.lbl
    Part No: 6Q0 959 433 E
    Component: 63 Komfortgerát 0002
    Coding: 00016
    Shop #: WSC 00788
    VCID: 3D7AAB73370327F6BF5-4B00

1 Fault Found:
    00849 - S-contact at Ignition/Starter Switch (D)
    25-10 - Unknown Switch Condition - Intermittent

Quote Originally Posted by CJHOOKR View Post
    Bit busy at work at the moment to go into detail but a similar thing happened to me last week, lights on the dash came on while driving so I pulled over immediately and turned the car off and on to find they were still there. Turned the car off, fiddled with the battery and let it sit for 5 mins... turned the key again and clock had been reset but otherwise was back to normal until I got home where it happened to me again. Hasn't happened since though.

I'm going to start by replacing the Earth strap after reading this:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...tch-70962.html
    Hey, thanks for the link, that guys issues are almost exactly like mine, will check ignition switch first since I got that error but will look at checking/replacing the earth strap

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sikman View Post
    Hey, thanks for the link, that guys issues are almost exactly like mine, will check ignition switch first since I got that error but will look at checking/replacing the earth strap
    Hey sikman

Did you end up sorting this issue out?
    Mods >1

Users Country Flag
    snap!
    Was only wondering about it on the commute in this morning. Wouldn't mind getting my cable back as I've got some TPMS fiddling I want to try out.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by Paazuzu View Post
    Hey sikman

Did you end up sorting this issue out?
    No, car is at mechanics for the last 2 weeks but he has not touched it yet, busy busy and plus he is my friend

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    snap!
    Was only wondering about it on the commute in this morning. Wouldn't mind getting my cable back as I've got some TPMS fiddling I want to try out.
    I call you today to organise return of cable back to you

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast