Support VWWC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearbox crack

Users Country Flag

Gearbox crack

Was on my way to work today and heard a crunch from what sounded like the front left suspension. Initially I thought it might be something to do with the coilover, etc. When I got out to take a look there was transmission oil leaking out from where the engine meets the gearbox. Gearbox crack

So had to coast it to the nearest mechanic which thankfully was only a few k away. Didn't have any issues with gear selection or grinding as there must have still been enough oil in there.

Long story short, the top of the gearbox is cracked and the oil has metallic flecks in it so it's toast. Labour is about 1000 to get it out (take out subframe, etc.). I've contacted ssman to see if he still has one available but happy to hear from anyone else who knows of an 02R gearbox anywhere in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mods >1

Users Country Flag
    Ouch.

You've either hit something, or something internal is about to let go in a big way.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Ouch.

You've either hit something, or something internal is about to let go in a big way.
    I was thinking diff escaping myself.

Users Country Flag
    Yep, the old crownwheel rivet trick.

Users Country Flag
    Might be repairable with a TIG but better to have a replacement box on hand to be sure it comes out the front door.

Dan, What clutch are you looking at ? VR6 and G60 flywheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Paazuzu View Post
    get it out (take out subframe, etc.). I've contacted ssman to see if he still has one available but happy to hear from anyone else who knows of an 02R gearbox anywhere in the country.
    SSman (Van) sold it a few months ago
    MODS- TOO MANY

I was always worried about this with mine but hadn't ever seen one locally :O
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Choose two.

Users Country Flag
    I was thinking diff rivets too.

$1000 R&R? I did my clutch swap in 8 hours - I'd never done one before, had no manual & had the wrong tools. I think we pulled it out the top.

I'd think an experienced mech could do it in half that time.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Daymn...
    08 9n3 Polo GTI
    Mods: heaps

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments guys - could have been a hairline crack that has worked its way out over time (track work probably doesn't help). Brad - that's a pretty fair effort mate! I'm sure I could manage it but I don't have the time available (2 year old + work = aarrgghhh)..so unfortunately paying someone is my only option (be nice to have a warranty on the work too).

So current options are 2 local gearboxes that are a bit expensive ($1400-1600) or look into the 02S 6 speed conversion (about $1,100). Will take the opportunity to fit a stage 2 clutch/flywheel and have the gearbox reconditioned/strengthened if needed.

There goes my stage 3 plans for 2016! But at least the gearbox/clutch will up to the challenge in the future.
    Mods >1

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast