Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 276775767778 LastLast

Thread: Gavin's cheapy but getting more expensive GTI ;)

Gav,

Is that 179kw on a stock internals?

Also with your RPF1s, what size configuration did you go with? I've been eyeing off a set in 16x7 with 35 offset. Hoping they will fit over 312mm brakes?

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I have rods in mine Grant. However, that's one is stock rods

My wheels are a Subaru offset. I forget exactly. I chucked in some 20mm spacers iirc. So they fit nice.
    35/38mm is a common offset for VWs. Mine fit over the 312s easy

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Gav,

Is that 179kw on a stock internals?

Also with your RPF1s, what size configuration did you go with? I've been eyeing off a set in 16x7 with 35 offset. Hoping they will fit over 312mm brakes?

I've got the same wheels in an ET35 offset (though 17x. It'll really depend on the caliper you're running. I have Brembo's and it's very close, like 1-2mm clearance to the caliper. Whether it scrubs on the wheel arch on full lock will be dependent on ride height, but also being a 7" probably not likely to scrub. At a reasonable ride height, I've had 225/45 on that haven't scrubbed.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Quote Originally Posted by seangti View Post
    I've got the same wheels in an ET35 offset (though 17x. It'll really depend on the caliper you're running. I have Brembo's and it's very close, like 1-2mm clearance to the caliper. Whether it scrubs on the wheel arch on full lock will be dependent on ride height, but also being a 7" probably not likely to scrub. At a reasonable ride height, I've had 225/45 on that haven't scrubbed.
    I'm on H&R springs so around 35mm drop over stock and OEM calipers. The reason I'm looking at the 16s is that I assumed the 17x8s with the minimum width tyre (215mm) would scrub. Do you think I would be safe with the 17x8 with a 215/40 tyre?

I'm on H&R springs so around 35mm drop over stock and OEM calipers. The reason I'm looking at the 16s is that I assumed the 17x8s with the minimum width tyre (215mm) would scrub. Do you think I would be safe with the 17x8 with a 215/40 tyre?

You might get occasional scrubbing on bigger hits due to the H&R's drop and bump stops, though with that being said, your rolling diameter would be unaffected. I wouldn't expect it to be frequent hits, if it did. You might get minor scrubbing on full lock, but I'm not sure as my car runs extra camber and castor, whereas you'll be more upright. Sorry, not much help to you on this one - though as the rolling diameter is unaffected, I'd not expect scrubbing to occur.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

I used to run 17x8 ET35 with RE003s in 215/40.. Rubbed a little when (very) low, but otherwise the car was all the better for it.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Choose two.

Gavin's cheapy but getting more expensive GTI ;)-141525309_421056465986864_846347447936521271_n-jpg A couple of dyno charts for you. This is the Squib after some minor changes before Christmas. I ran it with the 034 style big bore manifold. There's always been talk that they dont flow so well even with the big runners.

Between Christmas and New Year I fitted a self ported stock VW manifold and retuned the ECU to take advantage of the new increased flow.

The lower number being the big bore and the higher the ported stocker.

I did crack 180kw atw on one run. I have measured more power from a Littco 280 in the dead of winter, proving what a great turbo that is. Not having to build the bottom end is a real bonus.

Gavin's cheapy but getting more expensive GTI ;)-141423491_535339547426723_368869686584710665_n-jpg
    Last edited by h100vw; 12-03-2021 at 08:08 PM.

Users Country Flag
    man thats a solid jump Gav. Bet you're glad after the considerable effort to do it, that it worked so well. You just wouldnt think by looking at the two that the ported stocker could be superior to the huge fat runner manifold. Do you think it all comes down to that gas guide in the collector, the ramps that project the gas downwards into the turbo throat. Without that the empty collectors are just a collision zone for the gases I guess.
    I've seen you guys mentioned a few times on the Coolrunnings engineering facebook page. Have you considered maybe some aquamist action for the Squib?

I had an Aquamist kit in my S3 but sold it. It's not really on my radar. A better intercooler would be a more worthwhile project I reckon.

I had already done one to another Polo, so I knew there would be something to be had from the time and effort. Removing that fatty manifold is a **** job.

Tbh I reckon I could take more metal out.

I think the issue is that the runners are so big, the gas speed drops right down. Like have too much intercooler and creating lag.
    Last edited by h100vw; 13-03-2021 at 04:42 PM.

Made a bit of a change to the Squib last year, bought a new Brake master cylinder from Germany. I have always thought the brakes to be ok and even with 312mm fronts and vented 256mm rears, they weren't that good.
    The new larger bore MC was fitted and the brakes bled.

Outstanding improvement in feel. This complimented by the new discs and forza FP3 pads gave me the brakes that had have finished the package.

Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 276775767778 LastLast