Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dragging clutch - 2008 1.9 TDi Manual

Users Country Flag

I think so. Its a very short run. You're not forcing fluids through the confines of an ABS module or down the length of the car. I just used one of those hand trigger pump vacuum ones that pulls it through to the bottle. While I was in there I undid the two screws that mount the slave and popped it out to check that it wasnt leaking fluid out - squeezed its seal and could feel there was no liquid in there and couldnt see any outward leaks. Did the same at the master two - checked there was no fluid leaks coming back into the cabin.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Fixed - almost!!
    After two more bleeeding attempts, which seemed to make the problem worse, I consulted with a mate of mine who is a recently retired VW mechanic.

At this stage, the car had become almost undriveable, with all gears dragging on the syncros and reverse impossible to select. My friend agreed the problem seeemed to be in the hydraulics, but suggested an 'old-school' fix for dragging clutch by attempting to clean up the clutch by selecting third gear and then releasing the clutch with revs to stall the car. I tried this two or three times and like magic the car seemed like new again! It again drives great, with easy gear shifts and reverse gear without crunching.

I still want to fully bleed the system again, and have ordered a vacuum bleeding system as this seems to be the only way to effectively bleed this clutch system. I should have this in a few days, and will report back once that is done.

In the meantime, thanks for all the help.
    Golf I, 1.8 Carb
    Golf II GTI, 1.8 16V
    2008 Polo 1.9TDi
    2017 Tiguan 140TDi Highline

Users Country Flag
    hmm so more burnouts needed. I'm on it.

Users Country Flag

Must have been stuck/jammed.. something definitely wasn't happy
    Glad it all has worked out pretty good mate!!

Also my persistent hard driving seems to fix my problems too, no more 3rd gear crunch hahahahaha
    pretty smooth on the shift, might see one day how those synchros look ;/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12