Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diffs - Quaife, Wavetrac, MFactory

Users Country Flag

Diffs - Quaife, Wavetrac, MFactory

Hola
    Currently giving the pogo a birthday with a new clutch, SMF and gearbox overhaul. I'm taking the opportunity to drop an LSD in.
    My options seem to be
    • Quaife QDF26R (02R listed)
    • MFactory MF-TRS-05GTI4 (for 02J, but have been assured it'll fit)
    • Wavetrac (probably 10.309.181WK for the 02J)

Who has done what
    Where'd you get it

Quaife and MFactory seem pretty much the same from what I can gather.

Particularly interested to hear from Wavetrac owners, generally you hear 2 types of comments;
    That they are wicked
    That they were a cu-in-the-nt to fit with more drama than home and away.

If they are that good and they can be purchased without the dramas, I'd like to know more. It's going in an 02R HWY if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by rgvlee; 08-06-2020 at 10:30 PM.
    08 9n3 Polo GTI
    Mods: heaps

Users Country Flag
    The biggest issue (& what stopped me fitting a LSD) is knowing what size pinion you have in your diff before ordering whichever type you prefer. AFAIK, the only way to find out is to pull out and down your diff (unless you have a spare on hand that you will use as a total replacement)

I would have gone for the Wavetrac as it provides some locking effect when one wheel is fully unloaded and also under deceleration where the others will act as open diffs.
    Last edited by kaanage; 08-06-2020 at 11:02 PM.
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I am building a spare gearbox (from the legendary Squib) but it's not pulled down yet and I have itchy buy it now trigger fingers
    08 9n3 Polo GTI

Users Country Flag
    Ello!!!

Really good points to bring up!
    I have been looking around for a suitable LSD for my build and I settled on a Quaife last week.
    Was tossing between Wavetrac, Kaaz and Quaife but again, trying to source from overseas is a pain and my cousin who is stuck in England is having troubles to send his stuff back home, let alone ship me a LSD.
    Gave another look at this topic tonight and if you mentioned that MFactory one is assured to fit, might go for that instead, fits my budget heaps better and if by the idea of being better than the stock open diff, would do it. But then again, Wavetrac is just staring at me for just a bit more. Again, all comes down to the usage and flying that the car will be doing.
    Only reason I'm considering one is because I'm already struggling if the road is soaked, I feel once I put the K04 on, it'll be even worse (I do like to send it every once in a while )
    Also same position as you as having a spare box to build. So will crack it open next month when I get a chance to determine if it'll be possible because that diff left the building (prev owner did like to send it so)

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    just got home from night shift. Too late to do a write up but i'll fill you in on wavetrac (torsen), quaife (torsen) and Kaaz (clutch plate) tonight when I crawl out of bed.

I was hoping you'd chime in.
    Kaaz will likely be a no-go for me, I know they will be better but for a daily I don't think I can handle the maintenance of a plated diff.
    08 9n3 Polo GTI

Users Country Flag
    So to that list there are a few others you could add.

So Torsens:

Peloquin US based
    Quaife UK based
    wavetrac US based

Plate/Clutch:

SQS 1 - way + choice of ramp angles, Czech based
    Gripper 2 - way I think, UK based
    M factory not sure
    Kaaz DB1820 2 - way + choice of friction plate material, Japanese sold out of USA.

Broadly Torsens are considered maintenance free. Wavetracs point of difference to the other two torsens is that they have a wave shaped washer arrangement that applies a pre load to the lock up gears. Theory is that this will help negate the downfall attribute of a torsen which is that they can only do their LSD thing if both wheels are on the ground ie you are powering out of a corner but the inside front which is already lightly loaded rides over a depression in the road. The Quaife/Pelioquin may let go immediately and single wheel until two wheel grip is reinstated but the wavetrac will theoretically not loose lock up as quickly because the 'wave' washers keep the diff thinking that it hasn't single wheeled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEhLGe_M6XU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4wY2NoJ6f8

Ive driven a quaife ATB in a NA Clio RS W172 and I must say it behaved exactlt the same as the Wavetrac did in my turbo car. That might seem as though I'm saying they are the same but I think there's more to it than that. The NA clio had a bout 160hp at the wheels and probably half the torque of my car and on the same corner was locking and unlocking and moving the torque from one front to the other inducing torque steer, when my car had to be really hammering at far higher speeds to do the same. Its an apples and oranges comparison but I was surprised that the quaife was struggling over that corner/that surface with so much less grunt being conveyed to the road and both our cars had yoko 195 softs on.
    In addition to that I have a horrible driveway. My battle axe frive is about 30 degrees steep and then my personal driveway peels off that at about 45 degrees. We are in the process of buying a car for my wife and 50/50 subarus are all that are light enough and traction well enough to get up and out of that. The Polo though with traction off, just pulls itself straight out of there. You might get a squirt from the inside front but at the most you will hear a little whine from the LSD and it'll just grip and pop straight over the ridge and drive out. So I'd tend to think there might be something there between the quaife and wavetrac designs BUT that does not mean to say that the wavetrac doesnt do ugly things when a lot is asked of it. While it may argueably be better than the quaife it still unlocks and then has to re lock afterwards. When this happens its not always smooth in doing so and at minimum is accompanied by a good steering wheel kick and also has a way of apportioning drive from one front to the next. ie you can feel at the steering wheel that most of the drive is going to the left front, then suddenly it'll shift across and you can feel the front right pulling harder, and then back again. You sometimes really have a bit of a cut snake in your hands, which I believe the plate diffs dont suffer from - just two wheels driving together and doing what your foot tells them.

MFactory do torsens and plate diffs, the part number above is for a torsen.
    The Wavetrac looks to be about $400-500 more than either the quaife or the mfactory; that's not a deal breaker to me.
    I'll speak to my gearbox guy and see what he reckons. He said it was an option and that I'm probably wasting my money, but YOLO
    08 9n3 Polo GTI

Users Country Flag
    So I got my Wavetrac through Brian at Gti imports (hornsby - sydney area) for a very good price. If anyones interested PM me and I can pass on his details.

Thing to remember though is that you cant buy the diff before your box is stripped and the ring gear measured. For whatever reason there are 2 different ring gears in Polo boxes. There's no rhyme or reason to it. You can get two HWY boxes and one will have a ring gear with 113mm ID and another will have 114mm. The so called newer design ring gear was the 113mm but you'll find as many 114's in the later model boxes/cars.
    So the stock diff needs to have its rivets drilled out and the diff pressed out of the ring gear so that the ID measurement can be taken. Only then will you know which quaife or wavetrac to order. eg my first box was had a 113mm ID ring gear and so a matching wavetrac was ordered for it. When I got my hands on the Kaaz diff though it measured at 114mm. I crossed my fingers but the box that was stripped for that though had a 113mm ring gear. The option was then to either get the 113mm gear machined or buy another ring gear. Brian happened to have a 114mm ring gear to get me out of trouble so I was lucky but being a slightly different ratio it needed the pinion too so the dollars went up. But if you've gone out and bought a 113mm diff and your ring gear ends up being 114mm you are pretty stuck, so dont jump the gun.

Users Country Flag

Oh ok I didnt know M Factory did torsens for our cars. I think I checked a few years ago but Truetrac might even do a torsen for our car.

Going back to your original post I do hear you regarding the plate diff for street stuff. I've had my Kaaz LSD'd box sitting in the garage ready to go for ages now. I don't want to waste its clutches on street driving and an underwhelming engine so its waiting for a good engine to go with or probably if my clutch goes on the current wavetrac gearbox ill swap it in.

If you do go with a torsen I can definitely say that chassis setup can be tailored for it. For instance changing from a stiff front bar and softer springs, to stiffer springs and going back to the stock FARB was a better setup. Same front end roll resistance but that inside front feels like its pushing down harder or that the front anti roll bar is less able to hold it up, but that definitely helped to keep the inside front on the deck and the wavetrac working away rather than spinning it up.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast