Support VWWC

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Diffs - Quaife, Wavetrac, MFactory

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thread revival

Ring gear is 113mm

Wavetrac 10.309.180WK or 10.309.181WK?

The 180WK 02J will fit until 2004 will have a 114mm ring gear inner diameter
    The 181WK 02JB's after 2004 will have a 113mm ring gear inner diameter
    Looks pretty clear cut from that but wouldn't mind hearing from someone who's had one fitted.
    08 9n3 Polo GTI
    Mods: heaps

Users Country Flag
    I still have my old wavetrac box at home which was for a 113mm. I’ll have a look once the kids are all sorted and let you know.

Users Country Flag
    sorry mate, my original Wavetrac box for a 113mm ring gear is long gone so I cant confirm my wavetracs part number against the info you have. The first 6 numbers are definitely correct I can tell you that much but the final 3 numbers denoting 113 or 114mm ring gears I cant be certain of for you. I'd just go off what they recommend.

Users Country Flag
    SeanGti had a 113mm ring gear I think. Ask him because I do remember him posting his part number once. If you cant get through to him let me know as I have his number.

Users Country Flag
    Buy the 10.309.181WK, the 180WK is wrong and you'll have a world of pain like I did. I had to buy another crownwheel and mainshaft and do a full rebuild, which I think is starting to play up...

Thanks peeps, I've ordered the 181WK.
    08 9n3 Polo GTI

Been a while since updates, but the Wavetrac is in. I can't remember what I posted earlier on in this post, so to catch up...

I bought a second hand HWY gearbox off of Gav (from squib, such an honour)
    Had it all cleaned and freshened up, rebuilt with new bearings, nothing major as it was in reasonable condition. Had to replace a couple of synchros but was the worst of it.
    Wavetrac installed of course, went straight in with no issues.
    Had a pinion shaft brace in the parts pile so popped that on while the box was out.
    Finally, chucked in a new SACHS clutch and 7kg flywheel, the reason for starting all this (after 200k+ on the stock clutch, 150k of which on a stage 2 tune, it was proper fingered)

As you can imagine it was a fairly decent dent in the wallet, but...

DAMNNNNN is it good. I didn't really know what to expect, I've never driven a FWD with an LSD. What a difference it makes. More tractable in a straight line, holds lines easier and punches hard out of the turns. It has transformed the car when giving it a bit.

Worth. every. penny.
    08 9n3 Polo GTI

Users Country Flag
    An LSD in FWD car is so much more worthwhile compared to an LSD in RWD car.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag

Good stuff. Glad you finally got it in. Yeah I think as a streetable/daily-able diff its very hard to beat the torsen type diffs. I'm driving a 1 -way SQS clutch diff which is another level up again in terms of being able to just bury the throttle way before you could even with the wavetrac and just have it drag the car out of the corner. BUT its a bit of a punish when you are 3 point turning, carparking and pulling out of driveways whereas the wavetrac is like its not even there in those situations. I'm very very close to having the next box go in which has a 1.5 way KAAZ plate diff in it, so its going to be interesting to see how it compares to the current SQS in terms of streetablility/commuting, but I know its going to be an animal on the track. The wavetrac was a great diff.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345