Support VWWC

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Diffs - Quaife, Wavetrac, MFactory

Thanks heaps Gary,

Thats excellent specs will get that dialled in asap..

Do you use a plate KAAZ 1.5 lsd? Any idea where I can source one?
    Is a stage one tune with a downpipe a good start to free up some usable power, or is stock the safe bet as we will be pushing the limits..

Cheers
    Nick

Users Country Flag
    I can help you out with plates for the rear if you know someone who is clever with a lathe, otherwise it's Eibach plastic shims, but you're limited to only a couple of mm - plates are at the bottom of this page in my thread -> simon's learning what to do with the polo thread

I have 12mm toe out on the back of my mini, it's dynamite. I wasn't aiming for that much, I went for 1° each side and that's where it came out...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by NLanham View Post
    Thanks heaps Gary,

Is a stage one tune with a downpipe a good start to free up some usable power, or is stock the safe bet as we will be pushing the limits..

Cheers
    Nick
    Hi Nick, I'm not a VW expert but I'm OK with FWD's suspension set up. So, sorry I can't help much with VW specific questions. In general any removal of flow restrictions, before or after the turbo, is worthwhile. They release more power and up to a point actually increase the turbo durability, particularly on the exhaust side.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Thanks heaps Gary,

Cheers
    Nick
    Sam and I track our keys. I think Sam is more short course, I used to be more race track and recently being doing short course. Tune is a good start the downpipe itself isn't overly an issue until you're boosting more, limitation is factory side mount cooler and the air intake to a lesser extent. My first polo was stage 1 tune, FMIC, intake, turbo inlet pipe with factor exhaust, plus suspension bits. The small turbos on a big exhaust can make em boost very quickly and down low, perhaps not ideal in low grip environments, but good for motorkhana.

You can see the mod list of the current car in my signature block.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    yeah if you're just looking to get out there without breaking the bank I think for motorkhana where its not sustained running for long periods like on the circuit (where back pressure/retarded ignition/high inlet temps/ high engine temps are an issue) you'd get away with a stage 1 tune. That's designed to retain the stock dump. If you put a dump on a stage 1 tune it'll overboost right out to 25+psi in a mSec as without the back pressure the tunes boost control wont be quick enough. To improve the stg1 and stock exhaust you can at minimum delete the rear muffler which can only be described as a total blockage or go to a cat back. Stage 2 tune is when the dump is added. The boost control in the tune will work with the dump and will beef up the mid range but will obviously cost more due to the extra hardware.
    So you could just do stag 1 and with the money you save versus stg 2 afford k mac camber/caster adjustable strut tops which work with the standard strut style suspension, whitelines rear bar which is the biggest commercially/commonly available one and a pair of eibach/speciality Tools rear toe/camber shims. That little package will run to 750-800 bucks which is still cheaper than a stg2 and dump but like Gary said will be the ticket to going fast with what you want to do.

Great Information gents,

Not sure why my responses haven't posted, I am up to page 96 of Sams thread all good reading..
    Thanks everyone to all for input, i can see lots of experience and thought and speed has passed through those tyres.

I will look to sort the castor/camber/toe first, strut top fronts and shims for rear would seem to be best options there, and sambb is your rear TT sway bar links the good option?
    Should i source shorter harder rear springs to lower rear roll centre (as removing the spare wheel/tools unload weight and raise rear height at events) perhaps HR rears?, looking also for an internal brace for rear beam, any suggestions for either there?
    Thanks Sydneykid for your (wifes) setup specs for motorkhana wins, hope to repeat her success

I removed links to my front stabiliser bar this week, she rolls and really loads up the rear outer tyre on turns, so i might just disconnect for dirt racing days.

A stage 1 tune can wait for the LSD, thanks seangti and sambb for the info , will free up some more horses once i have grip.
    Will get my gearbox man to check if 113 or 114mm pinion for LSD

Cheers Nick
    Last edited by NLanham; 17-07-2020 at 01:38 PM. Reason: more thanks

Hi simon k,

I am keen to get some plates to try and achieve 6mm total rear toe out, as recommended by Sydneykid Gary, will your plates be suited for that degree of change? 12mm tow out on the mini sounds wicked, is that primarily for motorkhana?

cheers Nick

Users Country Flag
    Hi simon k,

I am keen to get some plates to try and achieve 6mm total rear toe out, as recommended by Sydneykid Gary, will your plates be suited for that degree of change? 12mm tow out on the mini sounds wicked, is that primarily for motorkhana?

cheers Nick
    Yeah, you could machine that much into them. You just need to do the maths on how much to take off across the face.

and yep, all set up for motorkhanas (gutted about Hay this year - I very much doubt it'll go ahead in October)

Ok cool, can i order a set of plates from you simon k, let me know how much, happy to paypal or bank deposit

cheers Nick

Users Country Flag

I've PM'd you

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast