Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant level in reservoir

Coolant level in reservoir

Hi guys

I love this site, especially for the technical content. I've got a two year old GTI with about 6k on the clock and a few APR mods - no dramas to date, touch wood. I do all my own minor servicing on this and the other cars in the family.

One query re the Polo, however. The level of coolant in the reservoir is constantly fluctuating, even day to day. Checked in the morning with the motor dead cold, it can be anywhere between about 200cc above the full line and 200cc below, without any being added or removed, whether the heater valve is open or not, and whatever the air temp is.

Anyone have a clue what might cause this, and should I worry? NB - there's no sign of oil in the coolant or vice versa. Thanks.

Users Country Flag
    Hi and welcome to the forums!

That does sound very odd. I've yet to look at my coolent levels so I can say if this is normal behavior. But the fact that you're not seeing any leaks would be enough for me not to worry.

Sunroof // ICT Tint // Seats // Steering wheel

Mine fluctuate too. Some days the coolant light comes on, so you put in maybe 100ml... then next day it is way over full.... who knows lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    And then dont forget the most important mod for gays.
    Blow off valve - 300

Have never had a problem myself with warning lights etc and the coolant level is usually at the same level when I check it.
    NickZ
    Former ride: MY07 Black Polo GTI
    Current: MY09 Blue Passat R36 Wagon

not sure if this will help but i noticed after a long drive if i open the resovoir it almost sounds like opening a vacume...at witch point the coolent level dropped from lots to not enough??

Thats a good point, The hoses connecting the radiator are rubber and will suck in a bit... That could be the source of the volume fluctuations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    And then dont forget the most important mod for gays.
    Blow off valve - 300

I have the same situation ... have had for nearly 3 years ... given up worrying about it and figured it probably changes with atmospheric pressure.

Dave

Users Country Flag
    When i check mine it not been driven that day and level is in middle i don,t add any i think it goes up and down when engine is in use and when engine cools down its back at original level in the 12 month service time i did not even add coolant i only did 3000km but i love the fact i did not even have to add any same goes for oil.I just check every now and then and the dealer does the rest i like the 12 month service interval these have.They even give it a was last time i did not notice till i got a call day or so after from the dealer to ask how was every thing going .That day it was a shower and my car is always clean and i did not know they washed it funny i thought .The polo has been one of the most reliable car i have owned and the sutherland vw service has been good from the first visit.Check it cold if its in the level lines its good i think there is a low sensor that has a dash warning light so don,t worry .

two years old and 6 thousand k's? what the fark......

:|

Quote Originally Posted by nomodlowkmgti View Post
    When i check mine it not been driven that day and level is in middle i don,t add any i think it goes up and down when engine is in use and when engine cools down its back at original level in the 12 month service time i did not even add coolant i only did 3000km but i love the fact i did not even have to add any same goes for oil.I just check every now and then and the dealer does the rest i like the 12 month service interval these have.They even give it a was last time i did not notice till i got a call day or so after from the dealer to ask how was every thing going .That day it was a shower and my car is always clean and i did not know they washed it funny i thought .The polo has been one of the most reliable car i have owned and the sutherland vw service has been good from the first visit.Check it cold if its in the level lines its good i think there is a low sensor that has a dash warning light so don,t worry .
    Try a paragraph or two, and people might read it.

2008 Blue Graphite GTI DSG with Latte leather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast