Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consindering getting a Polo TDI

Consindering getting a Polo TDI

Hi Guys,

I'm a longtime mk3 vr6 owner who is looking to upgrade. I'm a student though, so budget is very limited. I was thinking of getting a 9n3 Polo TDI. Any caveat emptors I should know about? Hows maintenence on them? My golf was a picture of reliability but servicing was extruciatingly expensive at times.

I ask, as I am kinda keen on this lass, although I am yet to meet her: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fern...ack/1133558510

Cheers for any input
    Last edited by MattyT; 06-04-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    1996 Golf VR6 Colour Concept Green

Users Country Flag
    Only buy a diesel if you are going to do runs that get it up to temperature. Best way to run one is get it hot and keep it that way. Worst way is to do short commutes that never get it properly hot.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Isnt that the same for any car, though?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyT View Post
    Isnt that the same for any car, though?
    Not really Petrols are much more tolerant of short runs. Thats why we have the petrol Polo for shopping and the TDI for trips. Only take it out for trips of an hour or more.

Thats the reason trucks do such big mileages Run hot and keep going. I used to drive a 10 year old Merc bus. It worked 16 hours every day and had done 800,000 and the motor and injectors had never had a spanner on them.
    Was still warm when we came in in the morning and went like a train.

On the most part, the diesel seems to be very strong engines and mostly reliable. Some of the usual VW electrics. The main consideration for/against is parts availability if something goes wrong and the lack of knowledge base on them in the local community. Not to say there's not knowledgable people, just not the same knowledge as the VR6 or GTI.

In saying that, I'd quite comfortably buy a polo TDI, just ensuring the maintenance history is perhaps better than what I may accept of a petrol engine cos I know less of the diesel.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    Just do what Gav does, put tdi badges on a gti
    He gets 5L/100 out of his special 'Yorkshire' tune, may as well be a diesel
    08 9n3 Polo GTI
    Mods: heaps

As much as I'd love a GTI, it's way out of my budget atm.

(Or if pigs could fly, a Polo VR6 )
    Last edited by MattyT; 06-04-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Users Country Flag
    TDI is fine for commutes if the trips tend to take longer than 15 minutes.
    Add 2 stroke oil at 200:1 as cheap insurance for the injectors - tcw-3 or Jaso FC spec.
    I can get over 1100 km in suburban driving if I vent the tank while filling up.
    Get a tune - it transforms the car with no loss in fuel economy (& premium petrol is exxy)

People say WTF when I either pass them or they find they have trouble passing me on track days
    Last edited by kaanage; 07-04-2017 at 04:55 PM.
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Users Country Flag
    A read of this thread may help you decide RE: 140TDI DPF with Adblue

I certainly wouldnt take mine for a 15 minute drive regularly and thats all.

I like to do an hour on the freeway and blow it out and let it regen if it wants to. It wont do it on only short commutes and DPF's are expensive

We get 5.1L per 100km in our TSI and dont have to worry about regens or other expensive problems.

A far better idea as far as I can see.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 07-04-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Users Country Flag

Own a 2008 Polo 1.9 TDI Pacific for last 18 months (about 105,000 ks on clock at moment)
    Change the oil myself (easy after first time ) leave the rest to workshops-they've changed brake calipers and fluid and timing belt since I owned it.
    Love driving it. Also there's no DPF on these earlier models. The guy I bought it from had to have some front end suspension bushes
    replaced in order to pass the roadworthy. Don't know if this is common to these. Looked at the ad you referred to. Car looks great.
    Only thing is maybe (?) the high K's but then the price looks right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast