Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Polo GTI 9n3 - reliability? problems?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    APR - High Performance Development for Audi, VW and Porsche Vehicles. $1250

Custom-Code Phase 1 is $799. Phase 2 is $899.

Gavin
    Thanks,

I'm all new to this.

How does Custom Code tuning work? I.e. Can I drive into a shop and get it done etc?

Users Country Flag
    There's only one agent and that's me. I have a spare phase 1 ecu which I can get to you, so you can try before you buy. Easy enough to fit. If you like it, send me your ecu, I can flash it and send back. Gavin

Honestly, I don't know that the Polo is for you.

A tuned Polo is bags of fun, but is all about cornering and quick acceleration in the suburbs (to me). Stock suspension and without a tune, its a A>B boring car and not really what a GTI (1.8T) is all about. The 1.8T and K03 combo brings boost on at low RPM and pulls well to 5k with just a tune. Great fun.

Talk of climate control, turning headlights, etc, this is not the Polo. My 2005 GTI was around $28k when new ( I bought second hand), you don't get a lot of options in a sub 30k hotish hatch (in 2005).

Have a look at some Audi's, more refined, less about driving hard and more about the luxury.

Users Country Flag
    If you want toys then get an Octavia Elegance spec 1.8tsi manual. If you want toys & power get an Octavia vRS.

Both are reasonably refined and cheaper than a GTI. You'll get a good 2008/2009 model for $7,000-10,000
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Yeah it's definitely not a modern style gadget car. I've had mine about a year now, and no problems so far.
    Since the tune and a couple of other minor mods it's been a blast to drive, but it's not at all refined or luxurious. Good luck with the car search

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jing713 View Post
    Edit: I just wish the 9n3 Polo GTI had more modern tech! Don't know if you owners feel the same?
    Off the top of my head, the things the 207 GTi has that the 9n3 Polo GTI doesn't have include:
    rear parking sensors
    cornering lamps
    automatic headlights
    dual zone climate control AC

(And they were roughly the same generation of cars, with the 207 GTI being slightly newer)

I would like those niceties because I think that's part of the reason why you want a new / newer car...

It would probably make my decision a lot easier haha

But it does mean more things to go wrong..
    That's not what this Polo is all about, its more focused on the driving experience, plus you don't need parking sensors in a car this size.

I have heated seats in mine, when winter rolls around they are the best! Also the headlights are adjustable and viewing distance is more than adequate in every scenario.

Dual zone is also pointless as a car this size has only 1 zone lol
    2016 Golf R, APR Stage 1
    2010 Polo GTI 9n3, 4 Program APR Tune, PD160, White line front and rear sway bar

Quote Originally Posted by flat6 View Post
    That's not what this Polo is all about, its more focused on the driving experience, plus you don't need parking sensors in a car this size.

I have heated seats in mine, when winter rolls around they are the best! Also the headlights are adjustable and viewing distance is more than adequate in every scenario.

Dual zone is also pointless as a car this size has only 1 zone lol
    Yeah, heated seats are great... especially if you have leather seats! haha

I've had a 2012 WRX hatch and currently a mk7 Golf GTI in the family, I think I'm a bit spoilt in terms of modern gizmo expectations..

Yeah it's no way a luxury car, though it's far from uncomfortable or impractical in light modification spec. My wife has an X3, and I'm equally happy to drive either car. I'm actually not overly fond of the X3. Anyhow, long distances in the polo is surprising fine, I have aftermarket suspension which can be a bit more tiresome on B roads but is nothing that upping the pace doesn't overcome

My track car, done ~250kms in it this week, now that's a tough daily drive, NVH through the roof, too compromised for daily IMO, which is fine, fit for purpose, sense of occasion and all that. Boy am I happy to drive my daily today.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    If you want toys then get an Octavia Elegance spec 1.8tsi manual. If you want toys & power get an Octavia vRS.

Both are reasonably refined and cheaper than a GTI. You'll get a good 2008/2009 model for $7,000-10,000
    I've had a look at the Octavias of that generation after you suggested it.

I'm definitely after a hot / warm hatch after having two sedans / coupes
    Also, I think they're a bit too big at 4.5m long for someone that rarely has over 1 passenger.
    (I don't have a family and probably won't for at least another 5 years )

Sidenote: Don't you the Octavias of that generation look a bit funky (in a bad way) when compared to the modern Octavias? Haha
    I quite like the latest Octavia, I think they are somewhat elegant and understated.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChimps View Post
    Yeah it's definitely not a modern style gadget car. I've had mine about a year now, and no problems so far.
    Since the tune and a couple of other minor mods it's been a blast to drive, but it's not at all refined or luxurious. Good luck with the car search
    Thanks, I am taking at a look at a 207 GTi this weekend and will probably take a look at a Polo GTI at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by seangti View Post
    Yeah it's no way a luxury car, though it's far from uncomfortable or impractical in light modification spec. My wife has an X3, and I'm equally happy to drive either car. I'm actually not overly fond of the X3. Anyhow, long distances in the polo is surprising fine, I have aftermarket suspension which can be a bit more tiresome on B roads but is nothing that upping the pace doesn't overcome

My track car, done ~250kms in it this week, now that's a tough daily drive, NVH through the roof, too compromised for daily IMO, which is fine, fit for purpose, sense of occasion and all that. Boy am I happy to drive my daily today.
    Just had a look at your threads, that's a very heavily modded red Polo GTI you have there!

I was under the impression that as they are a VW, they are a touch above the standard Japanese cars in terms of comfort and 'luxury'.

For example, the 2012/13 WRX we had was rather raw, hard plastics all over the place and there's just little touches here and there when compared to the Mk7 Golf GTI we have that suggest it's sort of in a different class.

The WRX was more raw, had more road noise and on the other hand, the Golf GTI had more tech gadgets like a reversing camera, touch screen infotainment system, nicer cabin appointment, much quieter cabin and just felt more refined in general.

I was hoping the 9n3 Polo GTI would share the same ideology, but I think I'm wrong - at least on the tech side of things!

Cheers guys, will let you know how things progress.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jing713 View Post
    I've had a look at the Octavias of that generation after you suggested it.

I'm definitely after a hot / warm hatch after having two sedans / coupes
    Also, I think they're a bit too big at 4.5m long for someone that rarely has over 1 passenger.
    (I don't have a family and probably won't for at least another 5 years )

Sidenote: Don't you the Octavias of that generation look a bit funky (in a bad way) when compared to the modern Octavias? Haha
    I quite like the latest Octavia, I think they are somewhat elegant and understated.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
    The "sedan" is a hatchback.

I don't think they are that big but many of my previous vehicles were 5m plus in length so I guess it what you are used to.

Looks - yes they are as ugly as sin but you don't have to look at it when you are driving so who gives a toss? I thought you wanted toys, power, refinement & a price less than $10k. You can't have it all.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast