Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clunk sound with clutch engagement

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

There is a very slight increase in vibration when idling, but nothing major at all. Makes sense to have the engine solidly mounted, feels better when accelerating.

Hi @BamaQLD,
    My Polo 1.5 TDI has got this issue now, which is 6yr old and ran for 78K KM. I get the same clunk noise as you reported, when I release my clutch. This happens in 1.1-1.3 RPM range. If I release clutch slowly with bit high acceleration, I get no issues.

I went to a nearest mechanic. He said issue is with the driver side engine mount. I'm planning to visit nearest VW showroom in coming days. Can this issue be sorted just by checking and replacing engine mounts. Clutch and gear mount change are really needed here? Please could you clarify. I haven't got clutch and gear mount issues yet. So haven't changed anything related to clutch and gear boxes yet. So I assume issue is just with engine mount here.

Users Country Flag

If its the gearbox passenger side mount then it cant really be checked with eyes on. your battery and airbox = labour $, all have to be removed to do a visual. Best way to check it would be someone lying under the car or with their ear to the passenger side wheel well (tyre removed would be best with the caron a solid stand, not a jack) while another rocks the engine as hard as they can forward and backward to see whether the noise can be generated and if its coming from that area. If its the dogbone mount that runs between the subframes cross member and the gearbox underneath at the back of the engine, that can cause the same noise - if the bush material is gone you'll get it further up the rev range though. If its' bolt that goes into the subframe is loose you'll get the clunks at low revs like you described. So get under the car safely and tighten up that bolt and then see if you can diagnose a sound from the passenger side gearbox mount.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12