Thread: BUD - Crank, no start - looking like the TPS but expertise appreciated

BUD - Crank, no start - looking like the TPS but expertise appreciated

Howdy, I'm trying to diagnose a crank but no start and so far I've:

Replaced fuel pump (fuel level gauge wasn't working)
    confirmed fuel pressure at the rail
    confirmed spark
    Timing is correct
    tested fuses and relays

While I was going through service history I noticed a sticky note with some fault codes on it, including 17973 - lower stop not reached. Now because the car hasn't started in ages and battery was changed I can't actually see the code on the ECU but after monitoring the throttle plate when cranking normally and at WOT the plate moves about 1% which I've confirmed by reading the throttle position on an OBD scanner's data stream, it moved form about 6% - 7%, even at WOT.

Do those reading seem normal or is the TPS done for? Appreciate any knowledge, if I can save buying a new TB I'd be happy

I should note that I actually haven't tested the fuel injectors to see if they are blocked but tested them with a multimeter and each injector had around 11.2 ohms of resistance and I do know fuel is getting into the cylinders when cranking as I can smell it

Users Country Flag

I had a similar issue like this.
    Had fuel, had crank, had spark and wouldn't start for the hell of it. Engine and all was running previously, was in an accident and with stock original hardware, wouldn't get any further than a crank. Tried almost everything...

Make sure you have minimum 12V at the battery and no shorts, all fuses intact. Battery and cabin side! Might be the ECU fuse gone? Lots of little finiky bits that can halt a start.
    Hopefully it's your throttle body. Disconnect and reconnect the battery, turn the key and leave in accessory mode for a bit.
    -If you hear a whining noise it means it's calibrating. try crank only after you hear it completely stop.
    -If you hear nothing, check that it's plugged in properly. If nothing then you are certain to replace it!
    Hope this helps a bit