Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake pedal feel

Users Country Flag

Out of the 5 Polo's I've owned. Stock brakes have been exactly how you described Simon.

Once I went to TT brakes all around, bled and done everything, the slightest touch of the brake pedal already grabbed and it had always felt amazing. Always confident that I can stop fairly quickly. Front TT only on the red polo I had, also felt funny with the pedal, was definitely better until I put that back to stock. Think going to anything bigger than stock might improve the feel for some good reason, question is what..?

Just gone back to stock with the brakes on my polo, and the pedal is back to sinking to the floor.
    I think it all comes down to Fresh Pads, Rotors and no chance of air in the system(bleed and test drive hard a few times to get that air out completely) I have never used the ABS bleed function even though everyone recommends it. Fluid will go anywhere where it can, and hot air will always want to escape being less dense than the fluid surrounding it. If the system is truly closed, this will always be the case.

Users Country Flag
    I did an ABS stop yesterday in the rain. Just moved my Polo out of the drive this morning and the pedal was solid as.

Users Country Flag
    On the Polos you do the brake bleeds in opposite order to what is normally recommended don't you Gav? You need to do front left, front right, then the rears yeah? Maybe the go is to change the fluid and bleed, do a series of ABS stops and then bring it in for a quick re-bleed assuming that the ABS stops have temporarily rid the module of any air and its all out at the claipers.

So Jan, you're saying your pedal was better with TT front and rear vs when you had just TT fronts?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    this is interesting -> https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/19479/

Someone says doing an ABS stop is similar to doing the VCDS output test. Maybe I didn't run enough fluid through when I did the pressure bleed

I wonder if VW will use their computer and machine to do a proper bleed on it..

Users Country Flag
    When I was upgrading the brakes I done the rears and then the fronts a few weeks later. Just doing the rears I noticed I had a lot more kick in the back, like I felt the rear brakes held and pulled the entire rear of the car back when I had to stop. Weirdest feeling. Anyway.
    The pedal was already feeling firmer than stock, so felt better just from that, although once those fronts went on, that pedal was solid.

Yeah the ABS Stop method is pretty good, Ian G explained it in a video on his TT. I've never bothered. Might give it a shot soon if it saves time and not having to do it after a few days of moderate driving.

Driving a golf around now and honestly for the life of me that thing has such poor stopping power, I am driving like a grandma. Sad vibes

Quote Originally Posted by JTop View Post
    Yeah the ABS Stop method is pretty good, Ian G explained it in a video on his TT.
    Link ?

Users Country Flag
    Pt 3 Epic Big Brake Upgrade Audi TT Mk2 - Brake master cylinder upgrade & VCDS brake bleeding guide - YouTube
    S3, TT and Mk4 GTI(which I got banned from because I don't own a MK4.. but same engine? Like what's up with that lol) Community Admin
    Good fellow and he's down in Melbourne! I'm waiting for the next batch of ColourMFA dash cluster orders to spruce up the dash when the Polo gets repaired

I was following along with that guy until he STARTED PUTTING THE OLD BRAKE FLUID BACK IN!!!

I bought some hose and a T piece from bunnings on the way home from work and hung it from the bonnet hook. Then I tried to get VCDS to do its thing but the only info online said to use function 001 which wasn't right for the Polo, it showed wheel speed sensors when I entered 001. I dug around a bit in the VCDS label files and found that it's 010 and it did work.... kind of, the instructions on the screen are a bit confusing, I went though it a few times and I got an OK pedal at one point, but right now there's very little and I've run out of fluid. Will have another go tomorrow.

I have the pedal back how it was after putting another couple of bottles of fluid through... I can see how a pressure bleeder that is is pushing fluid through along with the VCDS process would sort it out. It did push a lot of air through when the ABS pump was doing its thing... you've really got to keep on top of the fluid level

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast