Thread: Brake Pad Wear Sensor

Users Country Flag

Brake Pad Wear Sensor

Hi Guys,

On a very wet day at some traffic lights, my ABS/ESP light came on after traction control kicked in momentarily when it slipped in the moistness. I'm just getting to it now and have the front wheels off the car.

On the front right the sensor looks fine. The tie rod end (I think?) has some torn rubber up the top.

On the left while inspecting the harness, I have some exposed wires, torn rubber and a broken clip on the brake wear sensor. The previous owner was nice enough to hold it all on the hub with a big zip-tie! I don't think a brake sensor wire would put lights on the dash and turn ESP off?

I have found a thousand (expensive) replacement harnesses, but no replacement brake wear sensor. Can anyone help me out with finding a brake wear sensor?

Can anyone help me out with where else to look for ABS/ESP failures?

And Lastly, I have a broken fuse strap. Does anyone know someone that actually supplies any in Australia? Supercheap straps dont look the same and there's no info on Jaycar etc.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FI...1ld8B_hYDHQRha

20200316_163037.jpg - Google Drive

20200316_184404.jpg - Google Drive

20200316_200057.jpg - Google Drive

Regards,
    Karl

Users Country Flag
    Fuses from VW or a wreckers. Same fuses on mk4 golf's. Brake wear sensor can just be shorted out to keep the light off. Or maybe disabled with VCDS in the instruments.
    Brake

Narva do a fuse that is very similar - code 54003 . I bought a pack of them on ebay and then trimmed to size.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I managed to fix it for now.

I took all 4 ABS sensors off, cleaned it all up and put it all back together.

MacGyver'd the brake pad wear sensor and reconnected it all properly, and fixed the broken plugs.

The fuse strap I'll order in, but for now I used an old 60A inline fuse holder (effing enormous!) and connected it to the terminals with the biggest 40A blade fuse I've ever seen. It must've been the one for ABS/ESP because the light went out when I took it for a drive.

For the first time in a long time I have no lights on my dash! Seems like something is missing...

Does anyone know what the picture is?

EDIT: It turns out to be a coupling rod. Anyone know of a good dealer to get this from because ebay keeps coming up.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arokys; 17-03-2020 at 08:45 PM.