Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Caliper Rattle

Brake Caliper Rattle

As the title says, I've got a rattle coming from both front brake calipers and on further examination I've found that the lower caliper slide pins seem to have excessive play resulting in the caliper rattling around over the slightest of cracks in the road. I can physically make the caliper rattle when parked by pulling the caliper towards the front of the car and back. Just lightly resting my foot on the brake when driving causes the noise disappear.

Perhaps the slide pins are worn, or maybe the caliper/carrier is worn?

I've tried the VW dealer to try order some new slide pins but unfortunately you have to buy a whole new carrier to get the pins which is quite expensive..
    If anybody knows of some original Polo gti brake carrier/calipers or has some left over after an upgrade, I would be very pleased to finally get this rattle sorted!

Have you tried putting grease in between the outside of the pad and the caliper? You obviously don't want any on the pad or rotor surface.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    Landmark Spares are wrecking a 9n3 Gti at the moment - not sure what they have left, but might be worth hitting them up

30 Fairfield Street,
    Fairfield East, NSW 2165

Phone: (02) 9632 5225

Users Country Flag
    i've got the same problem (I think) ever since I replaced the front discs and pads on mine with EBC - sounds like I have a rattlesnake in the car under braking - super annoying, but unsure on what I can do to fix it.
    2019 132TSI Tiguan
    2011 Audi S4 Wagon
    1988 MK1 Caddy
    2006 Polo GTI

Quote Originally Posted by seangti View Post
    Have you tried putting grease in between the outside of the pad and the caliper? You obviously don't want any on the pad or rotor surface.
    Not yet. I think its more the caliper hitting the carrier causing the rattle
    My rotors are in need of replacement soon but i wouldn't have thought that could cause it. I'll be replacing them this weekend with any luck, maybe that's my noise

Quote Originally Posted by Loopa View Post
    Landmark Spares are wrecking a 9n3 Gti at the moment - not sure what they have left, but might be worth hitting them up

30 Fairfield Street,
    Fairfield East, NSW 2165

Thanks, I'll check them out!
    Last edited by rbalc1; 04-02-2016 at 10:43 PM.

Heres a video taken from the inside front right wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Loopa View Post

30 Fairfield Street,
    Fairfield East, NSW 2165

I called them today and they were only willing to sell the full calipers, worth keeping in mind as a last resort

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rbalc1 View Post
    I called them today and they were only willing to sell the full calipers, worth keeping in mind as a last resort
    You can have mine mate, I've ground then down slightly from when I fitted my RPF1's to make them clear but I've touched them up. They work as they should though.

Just pay for the postage and they're yours
    2006 GTI Polo - Big Turbo Build - Louis19's Build Thread

Thanks Louis19!
    I sent you a pm

Special thanks to Louis19 for his old brake carriers and slide pins !
    The rattle is now gone and the car feels much more refined

Below is a picture of the slide pins from both my car and louis'
    Mine were missing the rubber bushings on the end causing the metal on metal rattle

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brake Caliper Rattle-12755172_1102489396463147_480602856_o-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast