Support VWWC

Thread: Best track phone app

Users Country Flag

Best track phone app

Might be doing a track day soon at SMSP that doesn’t have timing. What’s the best iphone app that does splits etc ?

Users Country Flag
    Have a look at the RaceChrono Pro app ($24) with a bluetooth GPS unit, something like a Garmin Glo ($100).

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    I use the free version of racechrono at Winton just with my phone GPS and it's within a few 10ths of the track timing

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks guys. Out of racechrono, track addict etc it looks like the best one for me. It seems to do splits and let’s you know if you’re up or down etc. I only have an iPhone 6s so not sure how good the gps in it will be so I might just go ahead and get the glo 2 anyway. Initially I was bummed that they didn’t have timing but now I’m thinking for a first crack at the GP circuit it’ll probably be better having split times, progress in splits, best lap comparisons. Etc.
    now I need to just choose which beam I’ll run, bleed brakes, redo oil cooler and finish the tune by the 19th!

Users Country Flag
    the lap times are pretty close to the track timing to give a rough idea but if you're going to look at it seriously with splits etc. then I think Gary is right.. it would be best to have a bluetooth GPS. The map overlay of my laps show a lot of straight bits where the GPS lost resolution

One of my sessions shows an optimal time of 1:36 which I doubt very much

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I've read a it about how the hones receiver will 'wander' depending on the satellite fix. Missed laps are apparently a result of the car 'wandering' outside of the width of the finish line. Apparently you can go in and spread the width of the splits and finish lines. Yeah I think the remote receiver is the way to go but I dont really have time to oreder one now before next monday unless I can find one at a retailer. The GLO 2's are a bit exy so I'll see if there's a cheaper option.

Users Country Flag

Best price I found is $139, it isn't too bad.

You could make one tho

sub-$50 DIY 10hz Bluetooth GPS Receiver - Did It Myself

I got excited the other day and bought the app, I'll try it with my obd module on saturday