Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alex's Polo GTI log thread.

Users Country Flag

yeah its the hydraulic damper which acts as the sort of active tensioner on the tensioner roller which fails. Ive had mine on for a year or so I guess and about 25,000kms and check the 90 degree twist on it from time to time and it hasn't needed readjustment yet. I find it does get tighter when the car is hot probably due to thermal expansion of the head but I like its simplicity and it does seem pretty failsafe. I'm doing a rebuild soon and will have to swap this timing gear over onto the new engine (new belt though of course) and am not sure if I can reuse the tensioner - its purely mechanical so I think the only issue would be bearing life so I think it'll be ok.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    le sigh, still waiting for IE to ship my stuff, 3 week lead time they said :/

Also looking for any suspension bits, chassis braces, strut bars, etc
    fmic
    brake upgrades
    downpipes etc

going to hit gavin over the head with my ECU shortly for a tune, I wanna be ready as possible!

Users Country Flag
    Look in the classifieds. I'm selling a UR underbody brace.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex993cc View Post
    le sigh, still waiting for IE to ship my stuff, 3 week lead time they said :/

Also looking for any suspension bits, chassis braces, strut bars, etc
    fmic
    brake upgrades
    downpipes etc

going to hit gavin over the head with my ECU shortly for a tune, I wanna be ready as possible!
    Check your post box. Should be there by now!

Reply Title: GAVVVVVVIIIINNNNNNN WHAT THE @#$#@ DID YOU DO TO MY CAR????

Sooooo.... got Gavin's test ecu installed.
    Alex's Polo GTI log thread.-img_0539-jpg

Required me to get a bit angry with the hold down bracket, as no tooling I had available (even rounded nut removers) would not work

MR AEG Obliged

Alex's Polo GTI log thread.-img_0538-jpg
    I'll get the security nuts out and weld it up and fix it properly at a later date.

Alex's Polo GTI log thread.-img_0540-jpg

Replaced the C#$% clamp with a normal hose clamp for future ease..

Thankfully with the airbox removed theres plenty of room to work !

Alex's Polo GTI log thread.-img_0536-jpg

Alex's Polo GTI log thread.-img_0537-jpg

Now of course... WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO TO MY CAR MAN!!!!!! this is honestly the best bang for your buck modification I could recommend to anyone. Bearing in mind tonight was rather cool (About 16deg) but still, the performance difference is NIGHT and DAY.

before this, the car literally didnt feel like it had a turbo on it, and coming from the charade I always had rather high expectations from vehicles power/weight wise. but this thing, it'll blow the doors off it already!

the power delivery will take some getting used to, there is just so more available all thru the curve its not funny, even when just cruising its heaps more responsive and just generally feels like theres much more motor in it.

came around a roundabout and got on it, traction control in 2nd gear.. lovely!

ok enough, cheers boys! still waiting for IE though :/

Alex

Users Country Flag
    Wouldn't bother with the security bracket. I just bin them. The K03s spools really quickly. It's hard to hold them back once you're rolling. 3rd and 4th roll ons are so good.
    On a track I have to hammer my stage 3 to catch stage 2 polos that are well driven.

Users Country Flag
    stage 1 or 2 Alex?

Just a stage 1. going to get a dump pipe next and work out where to go from there.

I have a fetish for water to air intercoolers, so may put a PWR barrel cooler in the stock location, not sure yet.

Alex

Users Country Flag
    Yep you suddenly have a 3 litre in the front after a stg 1. You are going to love it. Yeah keep an eye on those inlet temps till you get the water to air installed and I'd recommend going to a cooler set of plugs because no doubt you aren't going to be able to control yourself on the loud pedal. enjoy!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alex993cc View Post
    Just a stage 1. going to get a dump pipe next and work out where to go from there.
    I have a fetish for water to air intercoolers, so may put a PWR barrel cooler in the stock location, not sure yet.
    Alex
    Good choice Alex, efficient and facilitates a short (less air volume) inlet system.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast