Thread: Aftermarket ECU options?

Aftermarket ECU options?

Hey all,

I had a quick google and couldn't find too much. Have you guys come across or are you using any aftermarket ECU options for the 2006-2009 VW Polo GTI's?

I'm coming from JDM land so the like of Link and Haltech ECU's was common. Allows complete customisation of just about anything based on anything. Things like wideband, autotune, long term learning, boost by gear, even flat shifting, traction control, etc are nice features. Seeing as tuning the stock ECU's seeeeeems to be a mildly expensive affair, I assume due to licensing to unlock the stock ECU's... I was wanting to checkout what aftermarket ECU solutions everyone has come across?

The Link TT+ plugin option looks like it'll work, and will according to Link but I'm told cruise control isn't supported and I'm not prepared to get rid of that feature. Audi ECU: G4+ TTLink - Audi Volkswagen ECU - Link Engine Managment
    Sell me your Polo GTI 9n3 and/or go fast bits.... please

Plenty of people around that can tune the factory ECU’s for a few hundred bucks.

Certainly a lot cheaper than OEM JDM ecu tuning.

Depends on what you’re setup is, obviously pointless stepping away from the factory ecu, especially if you want to keep cruise control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HaydEn View Post
    Plenty of people around that can tune the factory ECU’s for a few hundred bucks.

Certainly a lot cheaper than OEM JDM ecu tuning.

Depends on what you’re setup is, obviously pointless stepping away from the factory ecu, especially if you want to keep cruise control.

Where are these people
    MODS- TOO MANY

Users Country Flag
    No there's no licensing issue. The Bosch ME7.5 is more or less cracked with a software called nefmoto being one of them. This doesnt allow real time tuning ona dyno like an aftermarket ECU but can record logs and allow modified tunes to be reloaded back in for another run until you zero in on where you want to be. I for instance used a guy in the UK and we did it via facebook! It needs logs, re loads, ore logs etc and is very time consuming (and requires lots of road speed unless you've booked a dyno) but you get there in the end. This is your 300 buck option.
    Then there are workshops that can go in and do more or less the same at a facility and tune in much te same way with many of them using remote tuners despite the car being in their facility.
    Even with remote tuners you can get a two step etc sorted. I got my traction control settings changed, tried about 5 different throttle maps, and I know other guys who have boost by gear too, so you don't have to go aftermarket to get those goodies. The ME7.5 is well and truly cracked. The advantages of the ME7.5 are apparently brilliant knock control/cylinder retard function, full functionality of the dash etc and very efficient closed loop running. There's a range of quality aftermarket injectors eg Bosch EV14's that are compatible with this ecu too.
    Yeah aftermarket replacement ECU's are the LINK and also the Haltech Elite 2500 does one too. Keep in mind with those you'll be needing a compatible O2 sensor, wideband controller and maybe a CAN module to feed that to the ECU and will usually have to change to their MAP sensor and inlet temp sensor. I think they run 2500-3000 for the ECU's and then you have to factor in the wideband gear too. But then of course you can take the car wherever you want to get the tune done. They dont run with a MAF though which is what I think means you cant use cruise control.

Quote Originally Posted by vwthunder View Post
    Where are these people
    agree....is 7 a few hundred.? then APR was like 9 and REVO was 10

Users Country Flag
    Maximus surf Underground performance in Melbourne do tunes. Otherwise ask VWThunder, I think he did a rebuild recently so must have gotten that tuned in VIC somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    agree....is 7 a few hundred.? then APR was like 9 and REVO was 10
    APR, revo.

Generic, for these old engines, tonnes of reliability issues.

As Sam as said above. Get tunes from good blokes over Facebook.

Which is what a lot of people here as set up shops do, just they use a dyno instead of the road. There’s no more or less engine safety using them.

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    Maximus surf Underground performance in Melbourne do tunes. Otherwise ask VWThunder, I think he did a rebuild recently so must have gotten that tuned in VIC somewhere.
    Yes I currently have an Underground tune, but have a Link G4 sitting here for the last 2 years I need to get in so I can go flex fuel it's on the "to do list"

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    MODS- TOO MANY