Support VWWC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for the next stage

Users Country Flag

Advice for the next stage

Hi Guys,
    I'm after peoples opinions on performance upgrades as i've just upgraded my brakes and figure it must be time for some more hp. I'm currently running an APR flash and upgraded filter with everything else stock as well as a bunch of suspension gear. I'm tossing up between a seat sport intercooler or getting a custom downpipe fabricated - would love to do both but the wallet says no. Just after thoughts/experience from people who have done both of these mods so far

Cheers,
    Chris

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishelliwell View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I'm after peoples opinions on performance upgrades as i've just upgraded my brakes and figure it must be time for some more hp. I'm currently running an APR flash and upgraded filter with everything else stock as well as a bunch of suspension gear. I'm tossing up between a seat sport intercooler or getting a custom downpipe fabricated - would love to do both but the wallet says no. Just after thoughts/experience from people who have done both of these mods so far

Cheers,
    Chris
    Downpipe first Chris, stage 2 tune up from APR for cheap. Then do the FMIC later.

Gavin

I believe a downpipe necessitates a retune, which APR can do. I have no idea on price, wouldn't have thought much, if any. Gav alluded to that as stage 2, though just be aware that I believe it is essential.

If you're not tracking the car, than bang for buck the dump pipe is the best option. If you're driving hard for extended periods, than FMIC would be the wise choice. I've put a FMIC on mine, though haven't upped to "stage 2", so no boost increases over the usual base tune option. If I add a dump pipe, I'll need a retune, and fiddle with boost, etc, at that point.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

IMO, with summer coming, I'd go FMIC.
    Id also consider CC phase 1 as for me it was a lot quicker than APR...

With just a dump, no tune required, I never had a different one done.

PD160 installed?

Quote Originally Posted by noone View Post
    I thought i got that info from Gav, he can clarify or recall the context.

As for other supporting mods, as suggested, better air intake (PD160 or others), TIP, better diverter valve are all solid supporting mods to ensure the tune is maximised. Would certainly be doing air intake before trying to get more air out of the engine. It won't be a life changing mod, but is good for supporting further mods. I've followed the path the air follows, so get in the intake, IC, etc, sorted so you know that it's getting cool air in.
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Cheers, for the input guys! I replaced the stock diverter valve with a turbosmart kompact unit when I got the original flash. I haven't got a PD160; I'm slightly skeptical as to their effectiveness as I was previously running a pod on the end of the stock TIP with a cold air duct straight into it, but went back to the stock airbox with an upgraded panel filter as I hated the sound - did not really notice any real performance differences though, maybe it's just me? I spoke to Guy @ APR and they do have the software I need. I think I'm going to go with the exhaust for now and then do the front mount around christmas. Gav, do you have any contacts that can get hold of a stainless 2.5" exhaust flange for the K03? Got a quote from a bloke that did a lot of work on my old silvia for $400 if i can source the flange.

I added the PD160 6 months after the other stuff as I was sceptical too. It made the mid range smoother and general acceleration smoother/stronger. It's not huge, but is an incremental improvement. Can't say I noticed any difference in the sound, though that's what I wanted.

For the FMIC, I noticed on the track that comparing top speed after a few hot laps I was consistently 2-3km/hr quicker with the FMIC as opposed to the SMIC. Incremental, but piece of mind for inlet temps. This is measured with a 10hz GPS lap timer, not reading off the dash.

hmm ok, might keep my eye out for one on ebay etc. I've got a TIP on the way (ebay cheapie as recommended by Gavin) so will be fitting that once semester ends too! Did you go with the Forge kit of the seatsport cooler and custom piping?

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Downpipe first Chris, stage 2 tune up from APR for cheap. Then do the FMIC later.

Gavin
    As above, downpipe is a good investment

Quote Originally Posted by noone View Post
    IMO, with summer coming, I'd go FMIC.
    Id also consider CC phase 1 as for me it was a lot quicker than APR...

PD160 installed?
    CC Phase 1 & 2 are miles apart , there's great benefit from a retune.
    When I had my 9N GTI with APR, I found the boost came on too strong.
    Some people like that, but as you said CC tune feel quicker because its much nicer on boost.

Also check with APR , if you get their downpipe you may not pay for a tune update( not 100% sure though )
    MK4 GTI: Custom Code Stage 2, K03S, 42DD exhaust, Bilsteins, whiteline F&R, 312mm brakes
    MK6 GTI: MY13, DSG , very stock
    Ducati 749

Quote Originally Posted by VR6man View Post
    As above, downpipe is a good investment

CC Phase 1 & 2 are miles apart , there's great benefit from a retune.
    When I had my 9N GTI with APR, I found the boost came on too strong.
    Some people like that, but as you said CC tune feel quicker because its much nicer on boost.

Also check with APR , if you get their downpipe you may not pay for a tune update( not 100% sure though )
    I did ask Guy about the apr downpipe but unfortunately they dont stock them anymore. He did offer me a massive discount on the reflash which was nice

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast