Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9n3 timing belt broken

Users Country Flag

We can't answer that question because the car isn't where we can see it, so start with some facts...

The belt broke when you were trying to start the engine, so it wasn't running when it broke.

The pistons will have impacted the valves, so the valves will be damaged, how badly and how many we don't know.

To properly assess the damage the mechanic will need to take the head off. This is when the labour charge will start.

The mechanic may find that the damage is minimal and say that it's cheapest to replace the valves and put the head back on. Or he might find that the damage is catastrophic and say that you need another engine... either way you're paying him to work on the car.

This is where my original suggestion of getting an engine from the wreckers came from. I was suggesting you skip the diagnosis and go to the replacement, which may or may not be required anyway.

You with me?

Users Country Flag
    I agree with Simon. If you are paying for labour. It makes sense to swap the engine rather than dig into the original and find it can't be fixed. The old engine could still be worth a few bucks. As the short block is will be ok most likely.
    Swap the belt on the replacement motor regardless

Users Country Flag
    If you're in sydney mate i'll have a complete engine in a few days. Get quotes on others and then PM me and let me know what you're best quote was and i'll see what I can do.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for all your help.
    Mechanic called today and said leak test and boroscope test revealed no damage to the engine and he replaced the timing belt with waterpump etc... $1200 and i just picked the car up.

Ty

Users Country Flag
    fark, that's lucky - you dodged a pretty big bullet there - I'm glad I was wrong!

Mechanic said hes never seen one do 0 damage. The belt was worn out in a 4cm section so I'm guessing it held the other internals at their levels which was just high enough to clear the piston

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    Mechanic said hes never seen one do 0 damage. The belt was worn out in a 4cm section so I'm guessing it held the other internals at their levels which was just high enough to clear the piston
    ohh, so it didn't actually break completely?

Yea, it was whole. I got told it was broken. Instead it was stripped

Users Country Flag
    Very lucky indeed! Must have been on its last legs, but not its very last

Simon, definitely superb that we're all wrong!!!

Users Country Flag

Buy some lottery tickets!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast