Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 polo GTI power steering failure

Exclamation 2007 polo GTI power steering failure

Hi there, hoping someone can help. 😬

I have a 2007 polo GTI(stock) and I’m having an issue with the power steering.
    A couple of months ago I had the power steering intermittently cut out whilst driving. It’s not my daily drive, so it could wait to get fixed. Just drove the Skoda in the mean time. Took it to my mechanic at the time who advised to take it into the dealership as he didn’t deal with auto electrics, specifically hydro/electrics.

Anyway. Fast forward to last week, had it in at the dealer service centre local to me(Nepean) and they advised that it needed a new power steering pump and fuse as the wiring in the pump was making the fuse pop? However, they wanted my left arm and first born child as payment... wasn’t going to happen. Lol. They also sent the car home with a dead battery(unsure if this is important)
    I ordered a second hand pump and got my auto electrician to fit it for me yesterday.
    Took it for a short drive it last night, low and behold, about 5 kms down the road, went to turn at a roundabout and The power steering cut out again. Pulled over to the side of the road, did a few hard turns of the wheel and it kicked back in. Drove home with no issues, but wondering what else could be causing this?
    123000 on the clock, serviced every 10k and never had an issue with it until now.
    Before I pay for another call out fee from the auto electrician, any ideas on what I could possibly do to try and fix this?
    please and thank you! 😁

Users Country Flag
    You have some kind of electrical issue which is causing the pump to cut in and out by the sounds of it.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Was it blowing fuses or was that just what the dealer said? Only ask because you said it would fail but then come good.

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    Was it blowing fuses or was that just what the dealer said? Only ask because you said it would fail but then come good.
    This is what the dealer said. Literally can’t trust them as far as I can thrown them.(long story with my Skoda)
    Before I had the pump replaced, I would have to turn the car off and back on to get the PS working again. However, it would only work for about 10-15 seconds when the car first starts up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    You have some kind of electrical issue which is causing the pump to cut in and out by the sounds of it.
    my thought exactly. Not sure if it could be something to do with the steering angle sensor or possible to do with wiring to the battery. MAYBE.

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag
    Yeah I do vaguely remember someone having a similar problem before. Check those fuses in the fuse block above the battery. Someone on here once actually had a cracked fuse ( not blown) which was intermittently going open circuit. Torch and magnifying glass maybe and check them all for tightness.

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    Yeah I do vaguely remember someone having a similar problem before. Check those fuses in the fuse block above the battery. Someone on here once actually had a cracked fuse ( not blown) which was intermittently going open circuit. Torch and magnifying glass maybe and check them all for tightness.
    oh interesting!! Thanks for your help!
    ill have a quick look now.
    Spoke to my auto electrician this afternoon and he mentioned it could have cut out due to the new(used) pump being sedentary for a while. Taking the car for a longer drive tonight, hopefully she’s all good. Will let you know how it goes!

Look over the fuses on the battery with a fine eye, the hair line fractures can be really quite fine. Also, battery earthing has been known to cause a few gremlins, so wouldn't rule out cleaning the battery earth either.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Quote Originally Posted by seangti View Post
    Look over the fuses on the battery with a fine eye, the hair line fractures can be really quite fine. Also, battery earthing has been known to cause a few gremlins, so wouldn't rule out cleaning the battery earth either.
    Thanks so much!
    took it for a longer drive yesterday and it didn’t cut out again, so hoping it was just from the part being sedentary for so long.
    I will check the things you mentioned as we can’t be too sure it won’t happen again. Fingers crossed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast