Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '06 GTI clutch kit part no/questions

'06 GTI clutch kit part no/questions

Hey guys,

My clutch has begun to slip (guessing it's the original, ~13X,000KM). Eg revs up but acceleration is not what it should be (worse than wife's getz)

Just wondering what the part no is for aus versions of the cars.

Quick googling/ebay searches has thrown up luk, sachs and valeo as the oem replacements, but it seems there's disclaimers saying that it needs to be mated with the same type/manufacturer flywheel (seems a bit weird if they're meant to be OEM and therefore should be the same)

Does it really matter?

Also any recommendations for good (read: cheap) workshops in southern adelaide to fit it?

cheers

Users Country Flag
    Need to buy a matching set. They're not interchangeable with one another.

If you buy a complete kit from either Luk or Sachs, you'll get everything you need.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Need to buy a matching set. They're not interchangeable with one another.

If you buy a complete kit from either Luk or Sachs, you'll get everything you need.
    derp. the full kits are $1000+ vs $350

Can I find out which one I have by the engine/chassis no?

Users Country Flag
    I would be replacing the whole lot.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    are you looking at another oem replacement clutch kit which is dual mass, or changing over to a single mass conversion? The latter is a bit less refined (NVH wise) to daily but will be far cheaper. I just put an ECS stage 1 single mass conversion kit (sachs gear for a VR6 and their flywheel). If that's what you are after let me know and i'll give you a link.
    sam

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    are you looking at another oem replacement clutch kit which is dual mass, or changing over to a single mass conversion? The latter is a bit less refined (NVH wise) to daily but will be far cheaper. I just put an ECS stage 1 single mass conversion kit (sachs gear for a VR6 and their flywheel). If that's what you are after let me know and i'll give you a link.
    sam
    I'd prefer the oem as it's under 400 for the required parts
    how cheap are we talking for the conversion kit? My budget is ~800 installed..

So i guess my options are
    buy one kit and hope its the right one
    buy both and then return/sell the wrong one
    drive car til clutch completely gives out and sell to wrecker or part it out

it's not worth it for me to spend close to 2k on a car with a resale value of 4-5k. I'd be better off selling it for 3.5 with the needs new clutch disclaimer

preference is to keep the car, it's a fun thing to drive but i dont have silly money to throw at a 11-12yr old hatch

ended up calling a VW dealership - they weren't able to tell me the flywheel manuf. but did give me a part # - 038 105 264J for the flywheel that's in my car which seems to be the LUK brand.

just waiting on a call back from volkswerke who have had it a few times when i lived in melb. I'm hoping they'd know for sure.

Users Country Flag
    The dual mass flywheel costs a packet. I doubt that you can do that job under a grand. Even if you convert to single mass you're pushing it.
    The std flywheel is likely shagged, if you've been driving it a while with it slipping.
    Google on line etka and get the part numbers yourself

Users Country Flag
    IMO you might just get away with the 800 buck budget if you buy a single mass conversion kit (flywheel/clutch/pressure plate/all the bits and bolts) and do it yourself, but 800 bucks go to whoa including labour isn't realistic. I'm guessing for oem replacement that at 400 bucks you've been quoted for the clutch/pressure plate but not the dual mass flywheel that gets done at the same time as they are notoriously expensive. That's why most people convert to single mass once the dual mass is gone because its generally a cheaper kit but itll still cost you nearly as much as your whole budget.

i literally just need it to go for another 20-30,000km, that's why i'm budgeting the 'sandpaper' components only. I realise replacing everything is the 'safest'/simplest thing but i know other things will go wrong with the car at around that time anyway which will make investing 1.5-2k in 80-100,000km of new clutch and flywheel pointless. It'll just be an endless spiral. It's a fun car but there's other priorities now.

I defs will not be doing the timing belt when it's due (probably overdue based on yrs since it was last done at the moment).

Then it'll be time to get something a bit more practical. Getting a 3yo and a rear facing 6mo into the back of a 2 door polo is hilariously unpleasant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast