Support VWWC

Thread: 6N2 Gearbox bellhousing to engine bolts

Users Country Flag

Exclamation 6N2 Gearbox bellhousing to engine bolts

Hello everyone,

I have a Polo 6N2 with an AHW engine. The timing belt snapped and being an interference engine means that I have to repair or replace it. No worries, I bought the car in its current condition so that I could learn while fixing it.

My friend was kind enough to buy a second-hand engine for my car and I would like to change all the important bits on it before putting it on the car.

The issue which I am having is that nobody seems to know or list (even on internet) the sizes of the bolts for the gearbox bellhousing to engine block. I have a Haynes manual for the car, and all I've been able to work out is that there are M7, M8 and M12 bolts; however, there are no specifications on these bolts. I need these bolts to put the replacement engine on the engine mount, so that I can free up the engine hoist and remove the old, blown engine.

Are there any members who might know what the specs are, so that I can buy these bolts? Volkswagen want $60 for the set and to be honest I think I can get those from a different type of business and pay around half without the two-week waiting period.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Finally doing something about my love for VW Hatch Back, it is NEVER too late to start.

You should be able to measure the dia. of the holes in your replacement engine. Can you undo a bolt from your car ahead of time & measure the length so you have the new bolts ready. They may have numbers on the head to indicate whether or not they are high tensile.
    When I owned a 6N2, I had to remove the gearbox to replace the tube that the clutch release bearing slid along. When they are worn, the clutch does not always release cleanly resulting in grating of reverse gear.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels