Support VWWC

Thread: 6n2 085 ETD Gearbox Rebuild/Parts?

Users Country Flag

6n2 085 ETD Gearbox Rebuild/Parts?

I have a low km 1.4 16v. I got it at auction cheap, knowing it had gearbox issues. It had been sitting in a shed for years and thus only has about 60000km on it. Pulled the gearbox apart expecting the rivet issue. Rivets are fine....but one of the tapered roller bearings has completely disappeared....well, not disappeared, but is now little bits and pieces in the box. Its destroyed both synchro hubs and at least one of the other main gears.

Im thinking it is probably not economical to repair, and I should just look for a secondhand box, but thought I would see if anyone here can help. Id be interested in any information on:

SOurce/prices for reconditioned box
    SOurce price for second hand box
    Source of internal parts...not just bearings and seals...I see those all over ebay, but the gear clusters themsleves. Ive added some photos for your amusement

6n2 085 ETD Gearbox Rebuild/Parts?-img_0778-jpg6n2 085 ETD Gearbox Rebuild/Parts?-img_0779-jpg6n2 085 ETD Gearbox Rebuild/Parts?-img_0777-jpg6n2 085 ETD Gearbox Rebuild/Parts?-img_0776-jpg6n2 085 ETD Gearbox Rebuild/Parts?-img_0774-jpg

OUCH... yeah rivets aint going to save that box are they

I'll keep it in mind as i am actually just starting the looking process myself as i have a 6n2 that has (i was told) a box that was reco'd 20k ago but has snapped a timing belt and has bent all but 2 of the valves.

If I cant find a reasonably priced head or CBF'd / head is too far gone, then i'll whip the box out of it for u.

Using 6n1 085's as a reference (close enough i guess), a 2nd hand boxes go for about $1k at wreckers (when you can find them) and 2nd hand ones are anywhere from $250 (one on ebay at the moment) through to about $750.

Is the outer casing any different on the 6n2 versions of the box? I know the clutch kits that you buy say 1.6/1.4 on them (as I questioned it when i bought the last kit) so you may get lucky and grab a cheap 6n1 box and use what u need?
    My Car(s): 2011 6R TSI Comfortline (Pepper Silver),
    If you're in need of any 6n1 parts, odds are that I am going to have them (dismantling 2 at the moment)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Definitely interested!

Users Country Flag
    These boxes can fail in some pretty spectacular ways.

The pics just confirm it.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag

Hello there, I know that this was posted years ago but, would you know the specs of the bolts which join the engine to the gearbox casing?

Thank you for reading, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    Finally doing something about my love for VW Hatch Back, it is NEVER too late to start.