Thread: 1997 Polo AEE 1.6 Auto - No 4th / 5th gear

1997 Polo AEE 1.6 Auto - No 4th / 5th gear

hi guys, i have a 1997 1.6 litre AEE automatic polo (132k/s) that wont go into 4th/5th (lock up converter).
    this was a problem when i obtained the car and i removed the throttle body took the cover off and sprayed the internals with contact cleaner. left to dry, reassembled and 4th and 5th gear were there on test drive. This lasted for two days and then reverted back to the original condition. Thinking this was a problem with the original throttle body i obtained a second hand unit from a wreckers (same part number) and fitted it whilst on site - no change at all with the 2nd unit.... (probably why and undamaged car was in the wreckers in the first place).

Frustrated with this situation i gave the original unit another hit with contact cleaner and 4th and 5th were there again. This time it lasted 3 1/2 weeks including a trip from Brisbane to Warwick and back. it has since reverted back to the original condition again and i figured i had nothing to loose by trying the contact cleaner again, this time to no avail on the original throttle body, as well as trying the same treatment on the 2nd hand unit.

has anyone else had this happen to their cars? remedy???

would love to know how to definitively prove the throttle body is the problem if anyone has this information.

priced up the genuine throttle body replacement - "prohibitive" to say the least @ just under $900, the new chinese knock off from ebay is looking like a very real option at this stage.

any information would be very welcome. best regards J.

Quote Originally Posted by 1970 Fasty View Post
    hi guys, i have a 1997 1.6 litre AEE automatic polo (132k/s) that wont go into 4th/5th (lock up converter).
    this was a problem when i obtained the car and i removed the throttle body took the cover off and sprayed the internals with contact cleaner. left to dry, reassembled and 4th and 5th gear were there on test drive. This lasted for two days and then reverted back to the original condition. Thinking this was a problem with the original throttle body i obtained a second hand unit from a wreckers (same part number) and fitted it whilst on site - no change at all with the 2nd unit.... (probably why and undamaged car was in the wreckers in the first place).

Frustrated with this situation i gave the original unit another hit with contact cleaner and 4th and 5th were there again. This time it lasted 3 1/2 weeks including a trip from Brisbane to Warwick and back. it has since reverted back to the original condition again and i figured i had nothing to loose by trying the contact cleaner again, this time to no avail on the original throttle body, as well as trying the same treatment on the 2nd hand unit.

has anyone else had this happen to their cars? remedy???

would love to know how to definitively prove the throttle body is the problem if anyone has this information.

priced up the genuine throttle body replacement - "prohibitive" to say the least @ just under $900, the new chinese knock off from ebay is looking like a very real option at this stage.

any information would be very welcome. best regards J.
    What is the cars idle like?

I must admit i wouldn't have thought that the throttle body would cause the car not to go into 4th and 5th anyway, as there is a 2nd ECU in the auto cars that takes care of the gear changes based on inputs from the DME (road speed, throttle position, transmission fluid temp etc)

Have you connected it to a vagcom unit? I have had a car that wouldnt go into 4th and 5th too and it was the transmission temp sensor where it thought the temp was -30 or something (i.e open short) so it was holding back gears to allow the transmission to warm up.

any faults logged etc?
    My Car(s): 2011 6R TSI Comfortline (Pepper Silver),
    If you're in need of any 6n1 parts, odds are that I am going to have them (dismantling 2 at the moment)

Quote Originally Posted by pontiff View Post
    What is the cars idle like?

I must admit i wouldn't have thought that the throttle body would cause the car not to go into 4th and 5th anyway, as there is a 2nd ECU in the auto cars that takes care of the gear changes based on inputs from the DME (road speed, throttle position, transmission fluid temp etc)

Have you connected it to a vagcom unit? I have had a car that wouldnt go into 4th and 5th too and it was the transmission temp sensor where it thought the temp was -30 or something (i.e open short) so it was holding back gears to allow the transmission to warm up.

any faults logged etc?
    the idle is very good and the car runs well. thank you so much for your response. agreed i would never have guessed the throttle body would control the shift changes either. the guy i obtained the car from guided me with this as he had suspected it and had some information indicating this could be the fault. i haven't had it connected to any fault finding equipment at this stage and i am considering buying one (so many to choose from and such price variation - any recommendation?). the fact the only thing i did was spray contact cleaner into the mechanism and it worked for a short time the first time and then 31/2 weeks the time after leeds me to believe this component has a bearing on the shift changing. i will endeavor to find someone with a diagnostic unit and see if there is anything logged. i hope it is something like a temp sensor. will keep up the post until its rectified. surely im not the only one to have this happen hey! best regards J.

P.S don't suppose you have a spare window switch dash panel in one piece?
    Last edited by 1970 Fasty; 27-10-2015 at 07:09 PM.