Support VWWC

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Why you need to use 504/507 oils in FSI/TSI/TDI engines!

Users Country Flag

Fair enough but you are probably overthinking it.
    504/507 is now a 13yo (older??) spec and in that time you can complain about many VW engineering deficiencies but oil quality or degradation has never been one of them.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Fair enough but you are probably overthinking it.
    504/507 is now a 13yo (older??) spec and in that time you can complain about many VW engineering deficiencies but oil quality or degradation has never been one of them.
    I'm not questioning VW's oil specs. They have a spec for low sulphur fuel countries (504/507) and a spec for high sulphur fuel countries (502). VW say in their manual don't use this stuff in Australia. I'm questioning why so many people do anyway.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
    I'm not questioning VW's oil specs. They have a spec for low sulphur fuel countries (504/507) and a spec for high sulphur fuel countries (502). VW say in their manual don't use this stuff in Australia. I'm questioning why so many people do anyway.
    Because that's what the dealerships and VW AU say to use. I thought I knew the manual fairly well and I haven't seen the bit you are referring to. Can you post it?
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Because that's what the dealerships and VW AU say to use. I thought I knew the manual fairly well and I haven't seen the bit you are referring to. Can you post it?
    This is my MY18 GTI manual but I've seen someone with a Polo show the same thing. Where fuel does not meet EN 228, 502 oil must be used according to the manual.

Why you need to use 504/507 oils in FSI/TSI/TDI engines!-oils-jpg

Users Country Flag
    I can't explain it.

In my 2007 model it's simply "variable = 504. fixed = 502. 504 can be used on fixed interval" No mention of fuel quality.

I'd suggest you ask the VW AU tech heads. Or direct your question directly to Wolfsburg.

Users Country Flag
    Hey guys. B9 RS5 owner here. Looking to do interim oil changes (6 monthly). Any reason why I wouldn't use 5w30 504 spec oil given temps in Melb won't be below 5c for the next 6-9 months?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by samps View Post
    Hey guys. B9 RS5 owner here. Looking to do interim oil changes (6 monthly). Any reason why I wouldn't use 5w30 504 spec oil given temps in Melb won't be below 5c for the next 6-9 months?
    None at all
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
    This is my MY18 GTI manual but I've seen someone with a Polo show the same thing. Where fuel does not meet EN 228, 502 oil must be used according to the manual.Why you need to use 504/507 oils in FSI/TSI/TDI engines!-oils-jpg
    The irony of this from VW is, that using a 504.00 or 507.00 oil with the lower quality (higher sulphur) fuel available here, means that the vehicle will no longer meet the ADR for the emission requirements that the vehicle model achieved.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122