Support VWWC

Thread: Why has VW changed their Longlife III oil?

Users Country Flag

Why has VW changed their Longlife III oil?

Hi VWWatercooled members,

First post here. I'm hoping to open a discussion about VW changing their Longlife 3 oil from a 5w-30 to a 0w-30 weight. I realise oil threads can be a bit of an eye-roller to some people, but for those interested I'd like to hear your opinions.

Context - I have MK6 GTI which has covered some 48,000kms since new. It gets an annual service at VW (has from new) and six months after that, I change the oil myself. At each interval, it's only been filled with VW Longlife 3 5w-30.

I'm approaching six months since the last service at VW. While the car has only covered 1,300kms since then, I'm going to stick with my routine of performing an oil change at home. I let it drain overnight and that way, the oil stays much cleaner than it would otherwise after a service at VW. I recently visited my local dealer with the intention of purchasing the usual Longlife 3 5w-30, which is when I found that VW has updated their formula to a 0w-30 weight. I realise the difference between the two at operating temperature is probably marginal, but I am reluctant to make the change.

This is because the only thing I've had to replace since new is a couple of batteries. It is still running the original Bridgestones. Nothing has ever gone wrong with this car - not a single check engine light. If I'm being picky, it has developed a couple of minor cabin rattles but that's it. As someone who is particular about the details, I don't feel a great deal of comfort in changing something that has worked so well for this car its whole life.

I've managed to obtain a list of dealerships across the country who have some of the old 5w-30 in stock, although none are in Queensland. The cost of shipping is unlikely to be economical but I am seriously considering it.

Again, given the history of the car and that absolutely nothing has gone wrong - I am reluctant to change what has worked so well over the years. Before I go ahead and purchase a few bottles interstate and get them shipped to Queensland, I'd like to hear your opinions (if you're willing to chime in). Should I try an alternative - like the regular Castol 5w-30 A3/B4, or give VW's new 0w-30 a go, or perhaps something else - and why?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by petecds View Post
    Hi VWWatercooled members,

First post here. I'm hoping to open a discussion about VW changing their Longlife 3 oil from a 5w-30 to a 0w-30 weight. I realise oil threads can be a bit of an eye-roller to some people, but for those interested I'd like to hear your opinions.

Context - I have MK6 GTI which has covered some 48,000kms since new. It gets an annual service at VW (has from new) and six months after that, I change the oil myself. At each interval, it's only been filled with VW Longlife 3 5w-30.

I'm approaching six months since the last service at VW. While the car has only covered 1,300kms since then, I'm going to stick with my routine of performing an oil change at home. I let it drain overnight and that way, the oil stays much cleaner than it would otherwise after a service at VW. I recently visited my local dealer with the intention of purchasing the usual Longlife 3 5w-30, which is when I found that VW has updated their formula to a 0w-30 weight. I realise the difference between the two at operating temperature is probably marginal, but I am reluctant to make the change.

This is because the only thing I've had to replace since new is a couple of batteries. It is still running the original Bridgestones. Nothing has ever gone wrong with this car - not a single check engine light. If I'm being picky, it has developed a couple of minor cabin rattles but that's it. As someone who is particular about the details, I don't feel a great deal of comfort in changing something that has worked so well for this car its whole life.

I've managed to obtain a list of dealerships across the country who have some of the old 5w-30 in stock, although none are in Queensland. The cost of shipping is unlikely to be economical but I am seriously considering it.

Again, given the history of the car and that absolutely nothing has gone wrong - I am reluctant to change what has worked so well over the years. Before I go ahead and purchase a few bottles interstate and get them shipped to Queensland, I'd like to hear your opinions (if you're willing to chime in). Should I try an alternative - like the regular Castol 5w-30 A3/B4, or give VW's new 0w-30 a go, or perhaps something else - and why?

Thanks in advance.
    Not an expert on oils by any means but I think in the real world this will have zero impact on your engine.

The difference between 0 and 5 relates to viscosity when cold, 0 as I understand will flow in temperatures as low as -40c whereas 30 will flow in temps as low as -35c, neither of which are likely events in Australia.

What's more relevant is the 30 which relates to the viscosity at 100c, the temperature around which your oil operates when fully warmed up. As both are 30 grade at this temperature they have the same viscosity.

Possibly VAG have made this change so that this oil is suitable for use in all countries?

Cheers
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Users Country Flag
    Just use Penrite Enviro+ as its the same as Prof 3 virtually My 2 have been running on it for 10 years and dont give trouble or use any oil

I got some LL from Supercrap a few months ago This is it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why has VW changed their Longlife III oil?-vw-oil-jpg  
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    VW don't use LL# as a spec. I believe the latest is VW 508.00/509.00 which is probably the 0w-30 you refer to. It isn't a spec that's applicable to a MK6.

Unless you are driving in any of the severe service conditions 7500km services are overkill. I've done UOA on 504.00/507.00 and it tests as new on 15k intervals.
    Careful about spiders crawling in your sump plug hole overnight. Yes, I've seen it happen.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    504/507 is the correct spec, but 502/505 5W40 is acceptable in the petrol engines.

In a MK6 GTI, I'd actually recommend the 5W40. You'll go longer between top-ups, and go some way to protect against the inevitable timing chain guide wear.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    In a MK6 GTI, I'd actually recommend the 5W40. You'll go longer between top-ups, and go some way to protect against the inevitable timing chain guide wear.
    Especially as we are coming into the warmer months
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Especially as we are coming into the warmer months
    or live in Darwin with a tuned car..
    Rising Blue, MK 6 R 2013 - DSG - CTS Cat200, Tarmac CAI, Tarmac Heat shield, do88 intercooler, R8 Coils, XB Unibrace, Ub Unibrace, CTS Dogbone, H&R Sport Springs, Spectune stage 2.