Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: VW Scirocco for Australia. Any Golf R buyers thinking of swapping?

VW Scirocco for Australia. Any Golf R buyers thinking of swapping?

Users Country Flag
    Firstly it's not confirmed.

To quote Anke Koeckler correctly:
    "It's probably more a matter of when [it will arrive]," Koeckler told Drive.
    Quizzed further on the timing of its arrival, Koeckler grinned at the suggestion of a 2011 release.
    So last I checked in the dictionary, the words "probably" and "grinned" did were not in the definition for "confirmed".

The next thing is, the Scirocco is a completely differerent car:
    1) It's 3 door only
    2) Beyond the 3 door only, it's 4 seat only. The space in the rear is substantially thinner, and there is not even a "bench" between the two rear seats. In other words, if you have two adults in the back, their arms will possibly touch each other. (see picture below)
    3) The boot is also substantially smaller, and load through even less useful than the Golf's, due to the much thinner opening and shorter boot and seats which fold even less flat.
    4) The Scirocco R is only FWD.

So this thread should really be titled Any Golf GTI 3 door buyers thinking of swapping?
    In any case, my answer is no.

Users Country Flag
    Three Door is the best IMO, I originally ordered my golf R in 5 door then changed the order to three door after seeing one. I sure wouldn't trade my golf R for one but I am curious to test drive one and see what they are like.

Users Country Flag
    Oh don't get me wrong. You're too new at these forums to remember my "3 door crusade" which actually played a part in changing Volkswagen Group Australia's decision to remove the 3 door GTI from the market and not bring the 3 door Golf R to the market. So I'm 100% pro 3 door hatchback. In my view, having those extra two doors makes hatchbacks less practical (since there is no increase in wheel base which goes hand-in-hand with the extra doors). This still doesn't change the fact that the Scirocco is too impractical to meet my needs due to the points in my first post.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey_R View Post
    In my view, having those extra two doors makes hatchbacks less practical (since there is no increase in wheel base which goes hand-in-hand with the extra doors).
    wtf..? how does having more doors make it less practicle..
    Current Ride: MY 16 Daytona Pearl Grey Audi S3- Performance Pack 1, Sunroof and Driver assist

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrFoxX View Post
    wtf..? how does having more doors make it less practicle..
    Apparently the location of the B pillar and loss of rigidity.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by team_v View Post
    Apparently the location of the B pillar and loss of rigidity.
    pfft.. like it is practical having to move the seats forward all the time to put the kids in..bugger that
    Current Ride: MY 16 Daytona Pearl Grey Audi S3- Performance Pack 1, Sunroof and Driver assist

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrFoxX View Post
    pfft.. like it is practical having to move the seats forward all the time to put the kids in..bugger that
    That is my thoughts too but apprently most of the 3 door protagonists claim they will never have to use the back seat or if they do, also the door is said to be longer and allows a more open space to access the rear seats when the front seat is tilted forward.

guest12345 Guest
    original hatch wasn't 5 doors. hatch is suppose to be 3 doors.

IF you need a 5 door car because of kids or because you need to put stuff in the back? buy a sedan. 3 doors over 5 doors anyday.

The door is not "said" to be longer, it is a fact that it is longer. 5 doors actually make both doors to small for the car, if you don't need the extra 2 doors majority of the time, there is really no point getting 5 doors.

As for scirocco, it is a HOT car. I would give up the practicality for that exterior, the golf R is not ugly, but compared to the scirocco R? it is fugly! AWD is only a small matter, not everyone likes awd, fwd is funner to drive.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by den525 View Post
    original hatch wasn't 5 doors. hatch is suppose to be 3 doors.

IF you need a 5 door car because of kids or because you need to put stuff in the back? buy a sedan. 3 doors over 5 doors anyday.

The door is not "said" to be longer, it is a fact that it is longer. 5 doors actually make both doors to small for the car, if you don't need the extra 2 doors majority of the time, there is really no point getting 5 doors.

As for scirocco, it is a HOT car. I would give up the practicality for that exterior, the golf R is not ugly, but compared to the scirocco R? it is fugly! AWD is only a small matter, not everyone likes awd, fwd is funner to drive.
    What a load.. if the arguement is going to be "if you want xxx then go buy a xxx.." If you want a 2 door go buy an mx5.. does that make any more sense..?

I have no issue with 3 door hatchbacks just havnt read the rulebook that indicates what the definition of a hatch is supposed to be it appears

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast