Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: VW GOLF Mk6 GTI Noise/Squeal, Dogbone or DSG Mount?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    Calamvale QLD
    Posts
    6
    Users Country Flag

    VW GOLF Mk6 GTI Noise/Squeal, Dogbone or DSG Mount?

    So i have this weird noise when I lift off the accelerator, especially in 2nd gear. I have had a look at the engine mount, it looks fine and doesn't have much play. I suspect it's coming from the dogbone mount or the DSG mount, where do you guys think the noise is coming from?

    VW GOLF Mk6 GTI Noise/Squeal, Dogbone or DSG Mount? - YouTube
    Last edited by JasonGTI; 27-06-2022 at 11:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    5,154
    Users Country Flag
    Bit hard to tell from that video - how hard are you pushing on the engine to reproduce the noise? Its not ideal trying to diagnose stuff like this over the internet without being able to see/drive the car.

    I would get underneath the car and have a look at 2x things to start with:

    - Dogbone mount as you mentioned. If one of the rubber bushings has perished or ripped then it will allow for excessive engine movement and would almost certainly produce a noise. SWAG Engine Mount Rear 30 93 1958 | Sparesbox

    - Your downpipe exhaust hanger which bolts onto the back of the subframe. These have 2x little red coloured rubber bushes and these over time will degrade and rip which will allow the downpipe to rub/hit on the subframe, and this will occur under deceleration or hard acceleration. 1K0253144AE - Downpipe Hanger / Bracket - Audi 8V/8P/8S/8J & VW MK5/MK6/MK7
    – VAGPARTS Australia
    2015 Mk7 GTI Performance
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    409
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonGTI View Post
    So i have this weird noise when I lift off the accelerator, especially in 2nd gear. I have had a look at the engine mount, it looks fine and doesn't have much play. I suspect it's coming from the dogbone mount or the DSG mount, where do you guys think the noise is coming from?

    VW GOLF Mk6 GTI Noise/Squeal, Dogbone or DSG Mount? - YouTube
    top strut mounts on ur suspension? known to fail and squeak with those types of movements.

    could be dogbone.. should be 20 - 30 bucks on ebay
    2015 GOLF R. 98 OCTANE FUEL & 2 BOTTLES OF OCTANE BOOSTER ON EVERY TANK.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    5,154
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    top strut mounts on ur suspension? known to fail and squeak with those types of movements.
    Ummmm no. haha. They would have to be literally falling apart to make noise while slowing down. Worn strut tops make noise when going over bumps/undulations/driveways.
    2015 Mk7 GTI Performance
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    409
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Ummmm no. haha. They would have to be literally falling apart to make noise while slowing down. Worn strut tops make noise when going over bumps/undulations/driveways.
    yeh and whats happens with the suspension when u go over a bump, undulation . driveway or increase throttle / break.. just like when hes pressing down on his engine bay video it puts small pressure on the suspension and makes a squeak.

    Could be a any mount but to simply say NO when you dont actually know yourself ..
    2015 GOLF R. 98 OCTANE FUEL & 2 BOTTLES OF OCTANE BOOSTER ON EVERY TANK.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    Calamvale QLD
    Posts
    6
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Ok, some more details will prob help diagnose the issue better. First, thank you for the answer guys, it's definitely not a suspension issue, the sound never appears over bumps or anything from the road. I am actually rocking the engine back and forth. With one hand, it's actually difficult to reproduce the noise, I need to push it quite hard with 2 hands. This noise sometimes comes up when I shift from P to R to D, and with light acceleration. The noise becomes most prominent when I am on 5% throttle, then release it. So it looks like the most likely culprit is the pendulum mount. I just hope the issue is not to do with the big pendulum bushing inside the subframe, that one is such a pain in the a** to remove. I'll put the car on jack and have a look at that pendulum mount and the downpipe exhaust hanger.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    409
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonGTI View Post
    Ok, some more details will prob help diagnose the issue better. First, thank you for the answer guys, it's definitely not a suspension issue, the sound never appears over bumps or anything from the road. I am actually rocking the engine back and forth. With one hand, it's actually difficult to reproduce the noise, I need to push it quite hard with 2 hands. This noise sometimes comes up when I shift from P to R to D, and with light acceleration. The noise becomes most prominent when I am on 5% throttle, then release it. So it looks like the most likely culprit is the pendulum mount. I just hope the issue is not to do with the big pendulum bushing inside the subframe, that one is such a pain in the a** to remove. I'll put the car on jack and have a look at that pendulum mount and the downpipe exhaust hanger.
    its either ur suspension top strut mounts (notorious for squeaking over nothing and failing very quickly even on new cars) or its in the engine bay or the dogbone / pendulum with can be upgraded for 30 - 100 bucks on ebay depending on what ur buying.

    you are driving a MK6 afterall so ur top strut mounts could very well be compromised already and/or becoming worse...

    Also 1 main reason i mentioned squeaky strutmounts is because mine squeak over next to nothing as im driving (as do COUNTLESS MQB OWNERS CARS) ..u dont have to go over a bump or undulation... just need to put a bit of throttle or brake ( generally low speeds ) and at certain times the front area or whatever it squeaks.. pretty annoying to be honest.. my mk7 was doing it after 20 - 30,000km already and VW disregarded it... but it definately is a problem

    hope you get to the bottom of it.
    2015 GOLF R. 98 OCTANE FUEL & 2 BOTTLES OF OCTANE BOOSTER ON EVERY TANK.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    5,154
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonGTI View Post
    I just hope the issue is not to do with the big pendulum bushing inside the subframe, that one is such a pain in the a** to remove. I'll put the car on jack and have a look at that pendulum mount and the downpipe exhaust hanger.
    If it is the big bushing in the pendulum mount, you can more than likely get away with adding one of these:

    034Motorsport Aluminium Dogbone Mount Insert – VW Mk5/Mk6 & Audi 8J/8P – AutoInstruct

    There are also polyurethane versions which are cheaper (under $50 like Whiteline and Superpro etc) but bear in mind that I have never been able to successfully remove one of the poly bushes without ruining it. The poly bushes also age with heat and become really hard, so honestly you are much better off paying a bit more for a metal one. With the metal inserts, you can remove them easily using a prybar/screwdriver if you dont like it or if you want to sell it etc.

    A few other things to check which you are under the car:
    - front swaybar end links. These perish over time and can cause knocking.
    - heat shields around the exhaust and firewall. These can rattle if they have been damaged or the securing nuts have come loose over time.
    2015 Mk7 GTI Performance
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    Calamvale QLD
    Posts
    6
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I found the culprit, so right beside where the exhaust exit the turbo, there is another cable/tube about 1-2cm in diameter, with a metal shielding protection, where that tube rests above the big thin heatshield that protects the car frame from the exhaust heat, it has some star shaped rubber protection to prevent NVH I suppose, so that tube was rubbing against the big heatshield when the motor would rock back and forth. Any suggestion how to stop the NVH from that? I tried moving the cable/tube around, but im afraid there is a high chance the squeal will come back. I considered spraying some WD-40 silicone on the star shaped rubber, is there any concerns considering how close it is to the exhaust?
    Last edited by JasonGTI; 29-06-2022 at 03:18 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    5,154
    Users Country Flag

    I think that you might be talking about your gear shifter cable going off your description. Can you upload a photo so I can be sure? If you have 1x cable then the car is a DSG, if you have 2x cables then its a manual.

    If its the gear shift cables rubbing on the exhaust, then you should try:

    1) seeing if there is any adjustability in the exhaust downpipe to give it some clearance. Also check if that mount I mentioned earlier is failing as this will move the position of the downpipe. These 2x parts will always be close together, but should not be making contact.

    2) you should be able to gently use some cable ties to pull the shifter cables away from the downpipe. All you need is 1cm clearance.

    If its rubbing against the heatshield, then just bend the heatshield out of the way to give more clearance.
    2015 Mk7 GTI Performance
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
| |