Thread: (USA) - Recall of TDI VW/Audi's

(USA) - Recall of TDI VW/Audi's

To save you following the link — note that the US got the CR-engined Golf about a year later than we did, so the fault most likely affects all Mk 6 TDI's.

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
    AUDI / A3 2010-2012
    VOLKSWAGEN / GOLF 2010-2012
    VOLKSWAGEN / JETTA 2009-2012
    VOLKSWAGEN / JETTA SPORTWAGEN 2009-2012
    Manufacturer: VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC Mfr's Report Date: SEP 30, 2011
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V490000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
    Component: FUEL SYSTEM, DIESEL
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 168,275
    Summary:
    VOLKSWAGEN IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL 2009-2012 JETTA AND JETTA SPORTWAGEN VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM MAY 2008 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 2011, MODEL YEAR 2010-2012 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM MAY 2009 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 2011, AND MODEL YEAR 2010-2012 AUDI A3 VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 2009 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 2011, THAT ARE EQUIPPED WITH A 2.0L TDI COMMON RAIL DIESEL ENGINE/CLEAN DIESEL ENGINE. THE FUEL INJECTION PULSES COULD COINCIDE WITH THE NATURAL FREQUENCY OF THE INJECTOR LINE #2, IN SPECIFIC LOAD AND RPM CONDITIONS. THIS RESONANCE CREATES ADDITIONAL STRESS IN THE FUEL LINE.
    Consequence:
    DUE TO THE RESONANCE CONDITION, INJECTOR LINE NUMBER 2 COULD DEVELOP SMALL CRACKS WHICH COULD LEAD TO FUEL LEAKAGE. LEAKING FUEL IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, MAY LEAD TO A FIRE.
    Remedy:
    VOLKSWAGEN WILL INSTALL AN IMPROVED FUEL INJECTOR LINE FOR THE NUMBER 2 CYLINDER AND WILL INSTALL VIBRATION DAMPERS ON ALL OF THE INJECTOR LINES. VOLKSWAGEN AND AUDI WILL NOTIFY OWNERS TO HAVE THE VEHICLES REPAIRED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT VOLKSWAGEN AT 1-800-822-8987.
    Notes:
    VOLKSWAGEN RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS 23J9/V5. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Users Country Flag
    Even though the recall is in the US, it is going to have to affect Australian cars as well. Interesting that they say it is the 2.0 L engines that are the ones that are affected, it could well be all TDI engines as the 1.6 L ones might just show up later.

It will be interesting to see what happens here.

Ive compared my engine (code cff) to affected US models and there are a number of differences, injectors, fuel lines and the oil filler is on the right hand side of the head instead of the left. Appears my engine is using solenoid injectors. My build date is April 20011. 103 TDI. According to US TDI forum the motor in my Golf is in their current Passats not their Golfs!

Users Country Flag
    For info, the TPI has now gone European wide as of 07.12.11. on ERWIN. TPI specifically states European answer in Q&A attached to the issuing letter with the recall to the customer.

No chassis or engine number ranges are given. Referred off to elsewhere in the VAS system for that info.
    VW SCIROCCO 1.4TSI - DSG (MY2010) UK, East Cheshire.
    Build Complete October Wk43/09, Driving 4th November - Wk44/09. Sorted !

The recall is now on in Australia — got my letter today.

Same story — Recall 23K2

"Resonances in certain operating conditions etc," but they don't say what the fix will be.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Idle View Post
    The recall is now on in Australia — got my letter today.

Same story — Recall 23K2

"Resonances in certain operating conditions etc," but they don't say what the fix will be.
    What's 23K2?

Just VW's code for the recall, I expect.

Users Country Flag

Yup, 23K2 is the recall code issued by Wolfsburg. Earns a little sticker on the left side of the boot floor once done.

You can test your car chassis number here to see if it needs the recall doing (or any others).
    Abfrage Rückrufaktionen < Volkswagen Service < Service & Zubehör < Volkswagen Deutschland
    VW SCIROCCO 1.4TSI - DSG (MY2010) UK, East Cheshire.
    Build Complete October Wk43/09, Driving 4th November - Wk44/09. Sorted !