Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Timing chain and tensioner discussion and issues

Users Country Flag

I thought you should see the part number, or you should be able to contact VW give them your vin number and they should be able to tell you the part number it has.
    YouTube
    2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Users Country Flag
    Humble Mechanic on Youtube has a few handy vids for Golfs and has a video about checking timing chain tensioner for 2.0tfsi if you want to do it yourself.

YouTube

If you know the age of the car and have full log books that show it hasn't been done its probably a safe bet you should get down to your mechanic and get it switched.

I bought my mk6 not long ago and based off this forum got the tensioner replaced immediately. Not the cheapest thing but worth the piece of mind for damn sure.

Users Country Flag
    Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for a couple of days after recently purchasing a 2010 Golf GTI MK6 @ 133,000 kms as the 4th owner. I'm kind of getting worried about this whole timing chain and/or tensioner issue. Logbook and receipts don't mention addressing this issue.

Any recommendations on how should I go about getting this diagnosed and/or fixed in Sydney? Should I call VWA with my VIN to see if they have records on this issue?

Appreciate the help!

Users Country Flag
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    If you are in Marrickville then try Metro Service Centre on Edinburgh Rd. They do a lot of Euro stuff.
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by cube_3 View Post
    I thought that chains also have to be replaced as they can also stretch / wear over time ... they just have a longer interval per change but are more expensive per change than timing belts?
    I think timing chains are meant to last for the life of an engine if the engine is well maintained, theres no accidental damage and no engineering faults.
    2005 VW Golf 5 2.0 FSI Comfortline Sports Automatic

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by davidorama View Post
    I think timing chains are meant to last for the life of an engine if the engine is well maintained, theres no accidental damage and no engineering faults.
    Agree
    There is no actual "change at this mileage/time" for chains. It's run to fail (that doesn't mean breakage).

My BZB block EA888 has 196,000km. No chain noises, even at start up. That's pretty normal.

The only chain I've ever replaced was on a Holden 253 and that was "while I was in there" preventive maintenance fitting a duplex chain instead of the single when replacing the camshaft.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mokkzzz View Post
    Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for a couple of days after recently purchasing a 2010 Golf GTI MK6 @ 133,000 kms as the 4th owner. I'm kind of getting worried about this whole timing chain and/or tensioner issue. Logbook and receipts don't mention addressing this issue.

Any recommendations on how should I go about getting this diagnosed and/or fixed in Sydney? Should I call VWA with my VIN to see if they have records on this issue?

Appreciate the help!
    I would factor this into your budget to have the timing chain and tensioner replaced. A good $1500 or so will cover the parts and labour.

Quote Originally Posted by davidorama View Post
    They are meant to, but on many cars (VW/Audi/Skoda included) they are a constant issue and cost owners many thousand of dollars in damaged engines when the chains fail/stretch or the poorly designed tensioners give up.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I would factor this into your budget to have the timing chain and tensioner replaced. A good $1500 or so will cover the parts and labour.
    This. The reason the person is selling the car is likely they are scared ****less that their timing chain is going to go any minute and don't want to tip the $ into maintaining the car. Just use it as a negotiation tool. They should know about this issue and you can get them to knock off at least $1k in the price if it hasn't been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    They are meant to, but on many cars (VW/Audi/Skoda included) they are a constant issue and cost owners many thousand of dollars in damaged engines when the chains fail/stretch or the poorly designed tensioners give up.
    Nothing lasts forever and many of these "sealed for life" boxes are just good for 120,000-150,000km and then die. It gets the old cars off the road and manufacturers sell new cars which is what the game is all about folks. The factories don't keep going if cars don't wear out/break/crash. They're actually designed not to last - or at least last a reasonable length of time but not too long if the senior design engineers have done their job properly.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Hi All,

I have had a similar issue with the timing chain on my 2010 77 TSI Polo 80,000km. CEL came on and thought it was the timing chain from reading forum posts. Took it to VW dealer to get it diagnosed, and when they confirmed the timing chain had stretched I started pushing for VW to offer some sort of goodwill considering this is a known issue (quoted $1540 originally). I am still trying to negotiate this with them but they are giving me the run around big time. It was taking a while so I said to go ahead and repair while I tried to work something out with VWA.

Dealer has now called to say that they checked the valves and they are bent. He estimates it will cost around $5k all up to fix the valves and chain.

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. I'm of the opinion that VW should cover the lot since it is the result of a known fault in their timing chain, but this is unlikely.

Cheers.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast