Support VWWC

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing chain and tensioner discussion and issues

Users Country Flag

Quick update finally on my chain tensioner issue...took to VW Fivedock left car overnight, but they claimed couldn't hear the rattle so got no further with them. Then booked my car in with Jack from Beyond Limit Autos in Rydalmere. He fitted the new chain tensioner part, oil pump chain tensioner and also a cam follower. Rattle appears to have gone, touch wood!! Can't recommend his services enough, very professional and offered loan car. Thanks for recommendation Lucas R. At least I have the piece of mind now...happy!!

Users Country Flag
    ^ nice one mate. How much did it set you back in the end with Beyond Limit? Given you had the oil pump tensioner done too im guessing it was a bit more than most have spent - but worth it for peace of mind.

Have you got a full list of part/part numbers that were replaced - it might be helpful to others. I need to upload mine too.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Roboash View Post
    Quick update finally on my chain tensioner issue...took to VW Fivedock left car overnight, but they claimed couldn't hear the rattle so got no further with them. Then booked my car in with Jack from Beyond Limit Autos in Rydalmere. He fitted the new chain tensioner part, oil pump chain tensioner and also a cam follower. Rattle appears to have gone, touch wood!! Can't recommend his services enough, very professional and offered loan car. Thanks for recommendation Lucas R. At least I have the piece of mind now...happy!!
    care to share with us how much a job like this is going to set someone back..... im sure there will be a few of these kind of issues popping up soon
    Polo GTI
    T-Roc R
    Tiguan R

Users Country Flag
    ^ mine was $950
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    that's not a bad price considering the amount of work that needs to be done.... that's not at mates rate either is it?
    Polo GTI
    T-Roc R
    Tiguan R

Users Country Flag
    Hi sorry for delayed reply. It set me back $1150 in total for the new supply/fitting of new tensioner (06K109467K), seals, crank bolt and new timing case ($263 alone,which is more than the cost of actual tensioner) including replaced oil pump chain tensioner, had to drain oil and now running Liqui Moly 4200 5w/30 (recommended by Jack) and also cam fuel follower replaced. Engine sounds like new again!!!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    Mine had a belt 09 118tsi, (upgraded to chain at 30,000)

The early 09 mk6 118's had a belt
    Is this possible?? I have never heard of it.

I know the new EA211 1.4 engines in the Mk7 Golf have switched back to belt drive but their design is nothing to do with the earlier 1.4 engines.
    Nov '15 Polo 81TSI manual white

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman View Post

I know the new EA211 1.4 engines in the Mk7 Golf have switched back to belt drive but their design is nothing to do with the earlier 1.4 engines.
    Mine is a gen1 mk6... Apparently it is according to VW service records and local VW dealer

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman View Post

Sounds like BS to me.

I can't say I've ever heard of a production engine being converted from belt drive to chain or vice-versa as part of a factory TSB.

A truly LOL-worthy post.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag

when I went to VW Springwood QLD service to enquire about timing chain tensioner replacement costs for labour and parts, first thing the supposedly knowledgeable VW service employee said 'golf mk6 gti, doesn't it use a timing belt?'. he promised he would give me a call. a day later, 2 days later, 3 weeks later; not a single phone call. THANK YOU VW SPRINGWOOD QLD, YOU HAVE THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE OFFICER IN THE COUNTRY!

i remember the same guy at that service place, when i took my tiguan for service more than a 18 months ago and he was not able to tell me what the loan car model was (passat) as he was standing in front of it handing me the key.

i am aware not everyone likes or does well at their job and some are really good and full of knowledge. but not this one.
    Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - Super Select 2WD/4WD
    Toyota 86 GTS Performance Pack Moon Slate - RWD
    MINI Cooper S Clubman - FWD

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast