Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Timing chain and tensioner discussion and issues

Users Country Flag

hi all
    Going through something similar jusy now with my wifes 2010 Mk6 1.4 TSi with the CAXA engine.

Cutting a long story short, has been running rough and making some chain noise so bit the bullet and took the timing cover off - what a mess...exhaust side chain guide was almost totally destroyed - lots of it in the sump with lots of aluminium shaving from the inside of the timing cover.

Pretty lucky to get it before it got too bad - but shows that even though the chain itself can last a 'lifetime' he associated plastic parts don't!!

From my perspective doing it as a DIY job is costing about $300 or so for parts, but in a garage, even a non VW one - probably around $1000 for the labour cos of all the effort to get all the ancillaries off just to take of the timing cover!

Also I'm sure there's a thread (on here?) about leaving the car in gear on a slope - if the handbrake isn't rock solid, the car can move a bit, and as the tensioner is sh**e it can let the chain slip a little, which is where the problems start!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mr gee View Post
    The 1.4l 118TSI comes from the EA111 family and it's camshaft is chain driven

List of Volkswagen Group petrol engines - Wikipedia

Mr Gee is correct it has a chain. The 'tensioner issue that some refer to is that the tensioner is both spring and hydraulic in its design, but it has no ratcheting system so it can go back as well as forwards. A replacement comes as part of the kit. I have just changed the chain on my 1.4 Comfortline 118ts CAVD (look up ''notorious CAVD'' post).

A chain is more reliable than a belt for obvious reasons and on this particular series of engines VW do not consider it to be a normal part of the servicing schedule. i.e. they are not supposed to be replaced at all. That said, the one i replaced was about 8mm longer than then new one and the tensioner was in far better condition. If you are pulling the engine apart anyway, it's be rude to not splash the $250 for the kit, but in the normal run of things you shouldn't need to replace it.

I had a bit of a mare trying to source the kit as everyone I spoke to (including a muppet at VW) kept telling me it was a belt and not a chain. There is also often confusion with the supercharger belt as well.

Good luck.

Users Country Flag

Hi

I had the engine of my 2010 MK6 Golf rebuilt recently. Ever since the rebuild the car is misfiring on all cylinders under very low RPM between 900 to 1500RPM. There are no faulty codes stored in the ECU when scanned with VCDS.I have been checking stuff and came across measuring block 93 that is reading 103.07° when the engine is at operational temperature. Is this normal or there is something wrong with the timing that causes misfiring under low rpm? I have already tried another set of coils and spark plugs with no change.

My car is VW Golf MK6 2010 with the "famous" CAVD engine.

Here is a video I filmed: 1.4TSI CAVD Misfiring - YouTube

https://preview.redd.it/ta0p3x9b4pba1.jpg?width=2048&format=pjpg&auto=webp &v=enabled&8da7463f
    Last edited by b1ker4e; 17-01-2023 at 11:24 PM.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415