Thread: Thoughts on the Mk6 103TDI

Users Country Flag

Thoughts on the Mk6 103TDI

Hi Guys
    Looking to upgrade my car soon (I currently have an 06 Ford Fiesta LX) and I'm actively considering getting the MK6 103TDI Golf and i was wondering what the general opinion on the Mk6 103TDI was - I'm also considering the Mk5 6R VW Polo 77TSI, though given i have an occasional heavy foot I'm thinking the Mk6 103TDI is the better option - Thoughts? and if you've owned one before what do you think of it?
    Cheers
    James

Users Country Flag
    Dont buy a TDI unless you regularly drive for periods of time on the freeway or open road, they dont like city stop/start driving.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Dont buy a TDI unless you regularly drive for periods of time on the freeway or open road, they dont like city stop/start driving.
    ^^^^^^^^ Definitely this

I had a Passat diesel and only ever used it on trips where it got hot for a while , like more than 30mins each way

Our Polo doesnt disappoint and have had it up to 140kph and it wasnt flat. Keeps upon the highway no trouble

Not quite the smooth ride the Golf would have but have done a 1000km trip without discomfort
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 09-03-2020 at 09:11 AM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I do quite a bit of both - Especially with how many Roadtrips i go on - Usually a couple a year and they go on for a few thousand kilometers

Users Country Flag
    If you use it to commute under 15 k a day and only do a trip of 100km less often than 2 monthly I wouldnt buy one again for that sort of use.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    If you use it to commute under 15 k a day and only do a trip of 100km less often than 2 monthly I wouldnt buy one again for that sort of use.
    When i was working (and i will be again shortly) - I was averaging 500 - 700km a week - I'll likely be doing the same with my next job - I've done 71,000ks over the past 3 years with my Fiesta so I do travel quite a bit

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimithy777 View Post
    When i was working (and i will be again shortly) - I was averaging 500 - 700km a week - I'll likely be doing the same with my next job - I've done 71,000ks over the past 3 years with my Fiesta so I do travel quite a bit
    I guess the same principal applies, if those km's are longer drives on open road/freeway then yes, if they are lots of short drives in start/stop traffic I would strongly suggest not buying a diesel.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimithy777 View Post
    Hi Guys
    Looking to upgrade my car soon (I currently have an 06 Ford Fiesta LX) and I'm actively considering getting the MK6 103TDI Golf and i was wondering what the general opinion on the Mk6 103TDI was - I'm also considering the Mk5 6R VW Polo 77TSI, though given i have an occasional heavy foot I'm thinking the Mk6 103TDI is the better option - Thoughts? and if you've owned one before what do you think of it?
    Cheers
    James
    Hey mate

I had a 2009 mark 6 tdi for 8 years and gave it to my daughter who has had it for 3 now

It has 165k on the clock in that time the only thing to go wrong is the radio/infotainment unit which gave up the ghost 6 months ago
    Apart from that a new windscreen and rubber boots for the cv joints is the only things apart from normal service items that i have spent money on
    Still going strong and radio aside every switch and knob still works fine the cluster between rev counter and speedo does not have 1 missing light ect ect

Make sure it has good service history i.e gearbox oil and filter every 60,000k this is expensive($400-$500) so many skip it timing belt at 105,000k and a oil and filter every 15,000k

It,s a good solid car i really enjoyed driving it if maintained it will keep on going and going

If my daughter did not require a car at 18 i would still be driving it myself

Good luck finding a good one

As for driving i drove about 450km a week about 25 min a time to work and back if you know melbourne it was from oakleigh to south dandenong so if your commute is anything like that should be fine
    Last edited by Kachingg; 10-03-2020 at 07:01 PM.
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages