Support VWWC

Thread: Strange Knocking at low speeds. MK6 R

Strange Knocking at low speeds. MK6 R

Hey all,

Recently (about a month or two), i've been noticing a brief thunking / knocking noise which occurs at low speeds, mainly when slowing down in a parking lot enviroment or creeping up to garage. Pretty much will always occur in these scenarios.

Mainly coming from the front-end around wheel/engine, i believe driver-side but could be bias as i haven't had anyone to try listen from outside/passenger yet.

The strange thing is that i can re-create the exact noise by revving the car (Park/neutral) to alittle over 1k rpm or more, and after the revs drop this thunk will happen. I have a video linked below re-creating this scenario.

I'm honestly not sure what it is, there are no codes or harsh symptoms but definitely don't feel like this noise is normal or was there since i got the car.

Car has a little under 100k & is DSG. Recently had brake fluid with front pads &rotors done in addition to a IE intake which i feel like where this began.

Video : Strange Knock | MK6 R - YouTube

If you have an ideas, please let me know.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by idek; 15-07-2021 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Correction

Users Country Flag
    Hi, Seeing as it seems to occur as the revs die down, it could be the torque moving the engine and the engine settling back on the mounts. I'd be inclined to check them and/or their securing bolts. That fits with your other scenarios where you are slowing down and approaching your garage. Cheers-John

Users Country Flag
    Dogbone mount
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Thanks guys. Will look into those

6R Knock pt2 - YouTube

I have another clip from a few months back. Noticed it happening in it just before 4 seconds.

Had a listen myself and the knock is very pronounced from the intake pod filter when revving.