Thread: Stage 1 Bluefin PCM failure?

Users Country Flag

Stage 1 Bluefin PCM failure?

Has anyone putting a tune into their own car had any run in's with potential ECU failure?

I've been running a Stage 1 Bluefin tune for a few months and loved it but was wanting more, so researching Stage 2 I found that Bluefin now offer a "Crackle and pop" tune and the figures for the Stage 1 on the website changed a bit.

For 250bux i thought the crackle sounded like fun and the Aussie rep sold me on the idea that I could change it if i wasn't happy with it.

Cut to a couple days later got an email saying the tune was ready to go.

So went to install (same process as my original tune so i knew what to do) and it failed to install. Reverted the car back to stock tune and i contacted Bluefin.

They confirmed pretty quickly that it was software fault on their end, they had another file ready to download to try again.

Installed the new one with zero issues, took the car for a quick 10-30min spin. No noticeable difference but it took awhile for the stage 1 to settle in so thats fine, just happy everything seems to be going smoothly.

Cut to this morning, go to start the car and it wont turn on, starter motor seems to crank but then a warning bell bongs and i get the service warning lights.

So i plug in the Bluefin device and it throws up an error code:E001 PCM read failure, so the device can no longer install the stock tune to get the car running. Basically a big paperweight.

Havent plugged in an OBD2 reader yet to confirm the error code but safe to say its an ECU fault.

Has anyone had to replace an ECU, have a estimate price for what that might be?
    Hoping its just simple software issue but I would assume VW dealer is a crappy experience and will charge a fair bit.

Maybe even going to a proper tune shop and getting them to do it rather than getting it back to stock.

Any advice super appreciated guys, kinda blows its Saturday too so won't even get help for a couple days from Bluefin.

thanks, Stu

Users Country Flag
    160,000km on stage 1 Bluefin. Never a problem but I've only removed/re-installed it twice in the early days. I'd recomend a Bluefin Stage 1 to anyone wanting a budget power boost.

My very personal opinion with no hard evidence to support it is that Bluefin is a great stage 1 generic tune but beyond that needs some careful thought about what components and tune will work best together.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by StuDUB View Post
    Has anyone putting a tune into their own car had any run in's with potential ECU failure?

I've been running a Stage 1 Bluefin tune for a few months and loved it but was wanting more, so researching Stage 2 I found that Bluefin now offer a "Crackle and pop" tune and the figures for the Stage 1 on the website changed a bit.

For 250bux i thought the crackle sounded like fun and the Aussie rep sold me on the idea that I could change it if i wasn't happy with it.

Cut to a couple days later got an email saying the tune was ready to go.

So went to install (same process as my original tune so i knew what to do) and it failed to install. Reverted the car back to stock tune and i contacted Bluefin.

They confirmed pretty quickly that it was software fault on their end, they had another file ready to download to try again.

Installed the new one with zero issues, took the car for a quick 10-30min spin. No noticeable difference but it took awhile for the stage 1 to settle in so thats fine, just happy everything seems to be going smoothly.

Cut to this morning, go to start the car and it wont turn on, starter motor seems to crank but then a warning bell bongs and i get the service warning lights.

So i plug in the Bluefin device and it throws up an error code:E001 PCM read failure, so the device can no longer install the stock tune to get the car running. Basically a big paperweight.

Havent plugged in an OBD2 reader yet to confirm the error code but safe to say its an ECU fault.

Has anyone had to replace an ECU, have a estimate price for what that might be?
    Hoping its just simple software issue but I would assume VW dealer is a crappy experience and will charge a fair bit.

Maybe even going to a proper tune shop and getting them to do it rather than getting it back to stock.

Any advice super appreciated guys, kinda blows its Saturday too so won't even get help for a couple days from Bluefin.

thanks, Stu
    Did you scan your car with VCDS before flashing the tune in and had the battery connected to the strong enough power supply?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Update on my problem

Bluefin got back to me pretty quickly with a new file that forced an install of my stock tune and worked a treat.

After they looked over the stage 1 with crackle map tune they sent it over and after installing it and going or a drive it seem stable

So sick result

haven't had time to let it settle in but it already makes some little pops on 2nd gear over-run with completely stock exhaust.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by StuDUB View Post
    Update on my problem

Bluefin got back to me pretty quickly with a new file that forced an install of my stock tune and worked a treat.

After they looked over the stage 1 with crackle map tune they sent it over and after installing it and going or a drive it seem stable

So sick result

haven't had time to let it settle in but it already makes some little pops on 2nd gear over-run with completely stock exhaust.
    Good result.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler