Support VWWC

Thread: 118TSI Supercharger issue

Users Country Flag

118TSI Supercharger issue

One morning back in September on my way to work I noticed a severe lack of power, where I would normally go up a particular hill in 5th I was back to 4th and still struggling, it felt as though the supercharger wasn't engaging at all. Once I was at 100km/h in 6th it felt quite ok, still no supercharger but I soldiered on.

It didn't have an engine light but as my nearest dealer isn't far from work I dropped in on my way past. One of the mechanics came and took it for a drive with me and low and behold it worked fine for him, there was the definite click of the supercharger that wasn't there for me earlier. We left it at that but booked it in the following day to have it checked out.

The following afternoon they advised me it was the manifold blender valve aka regulating flap with the part number 03C128063B however I refilled with BP ultimate 98 that afternoon and the following morning the issue had gone away.

Two issue free months later and the issue appears to have come back. I've still been driving it for the past week as I haven't had the time to book in and have the part replaced but it's started to get interesting... All the while the car is cold there's no supercharger and it's rev limited to 3000rpm however after a few minutes if I pull over and cycle the ignition it comes good, the limiter goes away and the supercharger definitely engages for the rest of the trip and all the while it's warm.

Any thoughts? Does it sound likely to be this part? or would it be more likely to be something that's affected by pressure or temperature? VW quoted nearly $950 to replace this valve so I'd rather not replace it if it's no going to resolve the issue.

Car is a December '09 built 118TSI Manual with 102,000kms on it.

There is a technical bulletin relating to the issue. Maybe see if you can get it covered under goodwill.
    Volks Handy
    Servicing - Repairs - Diagnostics - Mobile fault scanning/clearing - A/c work
    10 years experience working for Audi/VW/Skoda
    Now in Perth NOR, Western Australia.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Best way of approaching that? Should I be mentioning a particular thing to the dealer or contacting VW Australia?

Just ask the dealer if they can try to claim goodwill on the repair. However if your service books aren't stamped or haven't been done at a VW dealer then you probably won't get covered.

Thanks will try. Books are stamped for each interval but not by a VW dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
    Thanks will try. Books are stamped for each interval but not by a VW dealer.
    You're unlikely to be covered if that's the case. VWA are much more likely to consider a goodwill repair if their dealer network have serviced the car (so, have been able to ensure it's been maintained properly - and have made a profit out of you in the process).
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Dealer have put in a request for goodwill. As I guessed, their words were "it's unlikely but we'll put in a request for you and hope for the best"

Users Country Flag
    Hello nibbles,
    Can you come back and tell us how you have gone with this issue?

Finally got the part replaced this week and so far so good.

VW Australia agreed to pay for the part but not labour despite not having it serviced by a VW dealer since 2010.

I had them do the 105,000km service at the same time and overall including the service it was $10 cheaper than the original quote of $945 for just the part and labour.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
    VW Australia agreed to pay for the part but not labour despite not having it serviced by a VW dealer since 2010.
    Good result, I like happy endings.

I've sent my customer to the dealer with the Octavia that was almost a year out of warranty with 120k km on the clock, never serviced by them and he was a second owner, with the turbocharger needing replacing and the a/c compressor. It cost him almost nothing, just a miscellanies charges. So, it's not a surprise to me.