Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roof Lining

Users Country Flag

My guess is that it probably has something to do with the car being parked out in the hot summer sun during the day at work. I tend to find that although I love European stuff, one thing they tend to overlook is UV and heat effect on exterior things - I guess over there it's just not as much of an issue. In the northern two-thirds of Australia it is a big issue
    His: F22 BMW M240i Coupe Hers: F56 Mini Cooper S JCW
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

Users Country Flag
    I wonder if the humidity has something to do with it too. Noticed most of the people replying to this are from Brisbane.
    2009 Mk6 Golf 103TDI- Silver Leaf

Users Country Flag
    Could very well be
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Seebe View Post
    I wonder if the humidity has something to do with it too. Noticed most of the people replying to this are from Brisbane.
    I'm not in Australia but in a climate of similar humidity and my roof lining dropped. In a mk6 Jetta. Got it repaired out of my own pocket and the upholsterer said it is a common Vw/Euro problem in hot climates with high humidity. He also mentioned that he knows in Florida they have the same issue. I think VW knows it has an issue. Maybe if pressed and just out of warranty you will be able to get goodwill? Thing is the problem might just return unless VW changed their part numbers for the cloth and glue etc.

Yeah I have had the same thing. Likewise the door material can fail. Whats happening is that the foam backing is degrading into a tacky goop with no resilience or strength so it pulls away. I got a local guy (in Cairns) to re-do it for about $300 I think. He is doing the doors for $100 each.
    I was hoping the original fabric could be just glued back,but you will get a horrible lumpy look and unless you clean thoroughly it will likely fail.

Users Country Flag
    In fairness, Ford Falcons are probably the worst when it comes to hood lining falling down and they are built here (at least for another few months or so...)
    Previous:

Same here, VW wouldn't acknowledge that it is a common problem. Was quote $920 to replace it with VW, with some goodwill. Found a place in Windsor from here and was quote $480 to replace with after market linings. However, there is a delay for the lining and they are waiting for it since Feb.
    Last edited by sillygogo; 31-05-2016 at 07:12 PM.
    GOLF V GTI DSG Silver : On loan to parent until wife thinks I am a responsible driver
    GOLF VI 118TSi DSG Silver Leaf
    GOLF VII 110TSi DSG White
    GOLF VII GTI pp : on negotiation

Quote Originally Posted by Seebe View Post
    Had mine car's lining replaced last week. I saw there are 10 other Golf on his list. He said that heat and humility is the main cause of the problem. We had some really hot summers few years ago that could caused it. However, if that is the case then alot of Golf owners in Brisbane will have the same problem.

The new aftermarket linings looks great, colour matches just like the original. There are some corners that didn't fully fit for it livable.
    GOLF V GTI DSG Silver : On loan to parent until wife thinks I am a responsible driver

Users Country Flag
    I'm one of the Brisbane owners who needs it doing. Where did you go for yours doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Got it done at "All car interiors" at Windsor. No nonsense, good guys, drop off in the morning and the car is ready by lunch time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast