Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ride height / clearance problems with a GTI

Users Country Flag

Question Ride height / clearance problems with a GTI

I've got a problem in that the front end of the GTI scrapes on my driveway, no matter how slowly or at what angle I take it. It's only a minor scrape, and it sounds like it's the front plastic panel behind the front bumper.

I guess I'm resigned to leaving tiny pieces of black plastic on my driveway, anybody else have this kind of problem?
    --------------------------

Users Country Flag
    I've had similar problems in the past with other cars, in particular the parking lot where I get my coffee from. Always scraped the bottom of my Suzuki.

Went today with my new car for the first time. Went slow, was worried I would scrape it. But I find that going slow and turning your wheels as you start to over the bumps helps out alot. No scrape sounds today! Not sure if that might help you? Hope it does.
    Scirocco R - Candy White / DSG / Panoramic Roof / RNS510
    Mods - HPA ECU & DSG Stage 2 / VWR Racing Intake / Akrapovic Slip-On Titanium Tips / Milltek DP / HPA Mounts / Superpro LCA / H&R Sport Springs / VMR V710 19x8.5 / Michelin PSS 255-35

Users Country Flag
    I've just moved but my old place would scrape if I reversed onto the drive.

Going in forward was fine however. New place is fine also.

Not sure how this will all change once the car is lowered on coils.
    2019 BMW M3 CS

It's probably the overhang, not the height that's killing oyu.

Our driveway is gay, Dad can scrape his Mk5 GTI (standard height) and I have to "negotiate" it in my quite low mk3.

I suppose get a fabricated ramp to beat your gutter is the best option, yu can't raise the standard car lol

Users Country Flag
    Wow - your driveway must suck if you're scraping on a standard GTI. My driveway rose ~2.5 metres in 7 metres, even had to put a special surface so cars wouldn't slip, but taken at the right angle the car would be fine, and that was with the Oettinger body kit which lowered the skirts and front lip etc by about 4cm.

I scrape mine occassionally too! >.< oh well i guess that's sth we'll have to live with
    MkVI Golf GTI | Candy White | DSG | Leather | Bi-xenon | Sunroof | Dynaudio | Park Assist | MDI | Tint | FINALLY RECEIVED!!

I've had problems with my Mk5 at my current and previous residences - both, though, were the middle of the car scraping, not the nose. If the car is loaded with people, then I scrape or the tyre pressures are a little low and light-to-medium load. I expect the Mk6 will do the same.
    GTI | Carbon | Man | 5 door | Leather | 18" Detroit | Bluetooth | MDI | Bi-Xenon

Suggest to be fair to the Mk6 GTI you should sell your house and move to one with a better drive.
    Mark 7.5 2018 White Golf R with Driver Assist & Dynaudio packages.
    Polo 77TSI White Comfortline DSG - partner drives
    We are a VW family

Users Country Flag
    Just use the old school bogan fix.
    A plank of wood in front of the driveway raises the front end of the car up as the wheels hit it. Cancels out the problem cars with large front overhang have.

PERFORMANCE, STYLING AND OEM PRODUCTS FOR YOUR VW

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

Users Country Flag

thats a good idea Tim.

I was gonna ask if it did scrap on the bottom, could you get that part replaced?
    Delivered: GTI Carbon, DSG, ACC, biXenons, leather, sunroof, park assist, 18"detroits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast