Support VWWC

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ride with 18"wheels hard - how to soften ride a little?

Users Country Flag

you still haven't said what brand/model tyre....... Wouldn't be Bridgestone RE50A would it?

I'd get the foreman to double check for spacers as well. Probably have to jack the car up.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by MkVIGTI View Post
    But anyways, my GTI with the standard 17" Denvers and Bridgestone Potenza RE050s is riding fine.
    There is a fair difference between 17s and 18s with respect to ride quality, on a non-ACC car at least. I went from 17s to 18s and, whilst the car still rides very well given its handling focus, you notice sharp bumps, potholes and ruts much more on the thinner rubber.

To the OP: if it really does bother you, and you're unable to live with it after a month, consider a set of 17s (such as the stock Denvers). Take a run over some corrugated surfaces in a car so fitted and see whether that'd be liveable.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    Yeah... and you can have the Denvers painted to look like Detroits...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    car has Dunlop 225/40 ZR18s.

AdamD, one of my options is to get 17s (same as car I test drove). Of course, I don't know whether I just didn't notice it then or whether it is the 17"- 18". This was the reason for the original question - of how much the lower profile compared to springs / shocks contributed to the ride. I like the look of the 18s a lot, so would prefer to adjust springs /shocks, but will wait until what VW say.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!
    Golf VII GTI MY 14 (Post my VI Adidas GTI being written off)

Take a close look at the denvers v detroits. The difference is significant, your tyre wall on detroits is very slender and I believe that's what is giving you the firm ride assuming tyre pressure, other items are checked.

I drove both when I was buying mine. I was warned by the dealer about the harsh ride on the detroits; I looked at acc but it was the dealer who reminded me I was buying a GTI, if I didn't want a firm, taught handling car I should look at something else...

Dave
    1990 MK2 GTI
    2009 MY10 Tiguan 147
    2010 MK6 GTI

Users Country Flag
    I need to know what cars you have driven, and a scale for them comfort wise 1-10.

Then rate the GTI and what you want the most from modifying it.

Like some have mentioned, the GTI is the sports model and has great handling.

The only cars that gives that floaty "what bump!" feel, is going to be your non sports based golf models. And I'm glad cause I think 99.9% (sorry your not) of GTI buyers buy it for the fun factor.

Maybe a good ol commodore or falcon plus maybe a few others. 4WDs etc..?

For a sports hatch it's perfect compared to other cars I have owned. Even on the 19s it's pretty supple compared to most sporty cars.

I suggest getting 17 or even 16s if your hating the 18s. Maybe adjustable suspension instead? But then your killing the car IMO.
    2010 MY11 GOLF R - 5DR | DSG | RISING BLUE | DYNAUDIO + ACC + BLUETOOTH + 19s + RNS510 |

2017 MY17 TIGUAN HIGHLINE - 5DR | DSG | PEARL BLACK | SUNROOF + DAP |

Users Country Flag
    get a set of Cleveland VW wheels from the Comfortline models, put on 205 55 16 tyres. problems reduced :p

some ppl in the US put these on for their winter tyres.

IMO the GTI ride is very compliant for a performance car. I would have thought my old R.I.P. 2006 Accord Euro was more harsh in terms of ride with 225 45 17 (running 36 psi though).

Users Country Flag
    Lesson 1: less rubber, less cushion..
    Lesson 2: more rubber, numb feeling..
    Lesson 3: no rubber, great feeling! :p

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    AdamD, one of my options is to get 17s (same as car I test drove). Of course, I don't know whether I just didn't notice it then or whether it is the 17"- 18". This was the reason for the original question - of how much the lower profile compared to springs / shocks contributed to the ride. I like the look of the 18s a lot, so would prefer to adjust springs /shocks, but will wait until what VW say.
    So you have an Adidas, which means it's not running Detroit rims, but the special Adidas-style rim (not that this has any bearing on the ride quality).

On a flat smooth surface, or even over mild undulations you won't notice a difference between 17s and 18s. You also won't notice a lot of difference in terms of grip, directional stability, or road noise - your tyre choice notwithstanding. The 17s and 18s have the same width (225), although the 18s do have a larger rolling diameter. Small bumps and a generally jiggly ride won't be cured by changing wheels. But 18s in general terms do have a significantly less sharp bump compliance over big bumps, so if that's what's bothering you, a wheel change could fix it.

Take a trip down to your dealership and ask to take a GTI on 17s, without ACC (unless yours is so equipped) for a 30 minute drive, and hunt out the types of surface you normally drive on. Have a mate drive your GTI, and when you find some problematic surfaces, jump from one car to another and compare the two.

Changing springs and/or dampers is a fairly major exercise in terms of its potential to ruin the handling and compromise the overall package, if you choose something that's not suited to the GTI. I personally would be looking down the new wheel path first.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    The 17s and 18s have the same width (225), although the 18s do have a larger rolling diameter.
    They do... but it's inconsequential due to the lower profile of the 18's. You're talking 1993mm vs 2002mm - 9mm only, or 0.45%
    That equates to the 17" wheel rotating 501.76 times per km, and the 18" wheel rotating 499.5 times - inconsequential

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast