Support VWWC

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ride with 18"wheels hard - how to soften ride a little?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    I have had my Mark VI GTI for about a week, and while I love the car, I find the GTI ride with the 18 "225/40 tyres hard / harsh. The various Melbourne roads with repairs all jolt a little much. Not just suburban roads, but even highways one notices all the undulations a bit much.

Now I am probably a little soft having had a Honda Accord Euro before (with standard 17" 225/45s) with no doubt softer suspension.

Firstly, what is the main cause - wheels or shocks? I love the wheels, don't want to change to 17" if I can avoid it. Is it the shocks? If so, what do people recommend ? Anyone else notice this? (in reading other threads, most want lower profile tyres, lower suspension, .......).
    swap the shocks / springs to a 118TSI non sports pack set, which i have sitting in my garage for nothing :p

i'll give them to you for a bottle of red label Johny Walker :p

Quote Originally Posted by nat225 View Post
    when I was in Melb CBD, I saw 2 GTI's with Detroits driven by mature ladies (like 40 y.o. plus).

last week, I saw one in Sydney with Detroit, also driven by a mature lady.

those were quite eye catching for me, as the GTI is a performance car. but I'm sure those ladies (or the husbands) chose the GTI for some reasons and would be silly if they thought the GTIs were comfy, quiet car (at 4000rpm PLUS) and gentle for their backs at WOT! oH My bACK....

last year I saw a convertible Ferrari driven my a granny on Princess Hwy!!

what is comfortable to each person is different.

I sometimes find some car reviewers complaining about harsh ride for cars with 40 / 45 profile tyres... ?????

it's the same as a reviewer complaining about lack of power for a Suzuki w/ 1Litre engine.
    Wow... you make me feel so old at 41. My last four cars have been somewhat performance oriented.... VE Calais V V8 with a CAI, and tune, VE Calais lowered with 20s, ZC Vectra CDXi and VY SS... I had no idea 40 was the new 65... Still with these cars costing as much as they do maybe you need to be a coffin dodger to afford them??
    Golf 7R | 5 Door | Limestone Grey | DSG | Sunroof | Leather | Driver Assist | Tint | Formerly GTi11.5

Quote Originally Posted by GTi11.5 View Post
    I had no idea 40 was the new 65... Still with these cars costing as much as they do maybe you need to be a coffin dodger to afford them??
    The opposite I would say, for the Gen X, 40's is the new 30's. Still young at heart.
    2011 Mk6 GTI | CW | DSG | Bi-Xenon | GIAC | APR TBE | THS FMIC | Modshack

young whipper-snappers!!

i'm 48 this year and drive a modded GT-P and a modded S3

(and in my spare time, i do weight-training 4 times a week and taekwondo and kickboxing 4 times a week), gee, i wish i was young again!
    2007 Audi RS4 with: APR ECU Upgrade; JHM Quick Shifter; Milltek Catback and Downpipes; KW V3 Coilovers; Argon Creative Carbon Fibre Splitters

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    I have had my Mark VI GTI for about a week, and while I love the car, I find the GTI ride with the 18 "225/40 tyres hard / harsh. The various Melbourne roads with repairs all jolt a little much. Not just suburban roads, but even highways one notices all the undulations a bit much.

Now I am probably a little soft having had a Honda Accord Euro before (with standard 17" 225/45s) with no doubt softer suspension.

Firstly, what is the main cause - wheels or shocks? I love the wheels, don't want to change to 17" if I can avoid it. Is it the shocks? If so, what do people recommend ? Anyone else notice this? (in reading other threads, most want lower profile tyres, lower suspension, .......).
    Suck it up. You will get used to it, I'm coming up for a year with mine with detroits, it's firm and the ordinary inner city roads, tram tracks and inspection pits are a killer. Most of my miles are inner city, you will get a photographic memory of every pot hole, rut and pit, trust me....after a month you will get into another car and it will drive like a barge.

I think for a factory car these roll out with a great setup (wheel/tyre/rim), after all didn't we buy a GTI for handling and performance?

If you can't man-up after a month, go trade it on a Prius......
    1990 MK2 GTI
    2009 MY10 Tiguan 147
    2010 MK6 GTI

Users Country Flag
    Is it possible to find a way to contribute to this thread without insulting the OP?
    --------------------------

Users Country Flag
    my cousin mentioned to me before that my GTI with Detroits rode softer than a Lexus IS250...

a few days later I checked the tyre pressure and it was 32 psi.

but then I pumped it up to 36 psi

may be 32 psi is your simple quick fix?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    thanks for all the suggestions (and thanks for your comment hooba )
    - yep checked the tyre pressures (2.5kg/cm2 = 2.5bar?). For single person, it says 2.6kg/cm2. This is about 37psi (which seems high to me)
    - checked the springs and no shipping spacers in them

Also, test drove one before buying didn't notice it. Dealers test circuit was perhaps less potholed or undulating. It became more apparent after some days. Firm ride is fine, jarring ride isn't.

I rang my dealer today; they said bring it in and the 'foreman' will come for a drive and see if it is normal / or offer some suggestions. I will do that later this week and then work out what I do....
    Golf VII GTI MY 14 (Post my VI Adidas GTI being written off)

mike, it was tounge in cheek....it gets better, give it time...

Not sure where you are located but your welcome to take mine for a drive and compare apples to apples if you think it's car specific

Dave
    Last edited by ozvino; 22-02-2011 at 08:49 PM.
    1990 MK2 GTI
    2009 MY10 Tiguan 147
    2010 MK6 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by nat225 View Post
    when I was in Melb CBD, I saw 2 GTI's with Detroits driven by mature ladies (like 40 y.o. plus).

last week, I saw one in Sydney with Detroit, also driven by a mature lady.

those were quite eye catching for me, as the GTI is a performance car. but I'm sure those ladies (or the husbands) chose the GTI for some reasons and would be silly if they thought the GTIs were comfy, quiet car (at 4000rpm PLUS) and gentle for their backs at WOT! oH My bACK....

last year I saw a convertible Ferrari driven my a granny on Princess Hwy!!

what is comfortable to each person is different.

I sometimes find some car reviewers complaining about harsh ride for cars with 40 / 45 profile tyres... ?????

it's the same as a reviewer complaining about lack of power for a Suzuki w/ 1Litre engine.
    I just saw a Lotus Excel driven by a mature lady on my way in to work!

But anyways, my GTI with the standard 17" Denvers and Bridgestone Potenza RE050s is riding fine. Actually I find the ride for the front passengers really supple! Never have any problems with the normal undulations. Same cannot be said for the rear seats though. The ride at the back can be a bit harsh, a bit like my cousin's X3 actually. I think I'm running 32psi front and back.
    MkVI Golf GTI | Candy White | DSG | Leather | Bi-xenon | Sunroof | Dynaudio | Park Assist | MDI | Tint | FINALLY RECEIVED!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast