Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement key?

Replacement key?

Would appreciate any help on this one.

I have a VW Golf in my name. I have just split with my partner and she has taken the car. I have been to the police who can't help as altho its in my name, she had use of it so I have to go thru the courts to get back which seems ridiculous if you ask me, but they did say that there is nothing stopping me taking it back, but there's 1 massive problem! We only ever had 1 key to the vehicle! ... I'm just wondering is there anyway of getting another key cut somehow ?! Long shot I know, but worthy of a question as I don't know!

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Unless you know the vin number ,it almost impossible. Plus a new key will set you back $500.unless the car is parked on the street. You could get a flatbed truck and just take the car. Possession is 9/10 of the law
    Last edited by ian; 01-01-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Whatever you do, it's going to involve a tilt tray and a trip to the dealership.

Also bare in mind that without changing the complete lock set and keys, there's a chance your former partner could do the same to you.

Just ordering and programming a new key, will only mean she can't actually start the car or open it with the remote. She will be able to still unlock it, and unlock the steering column.

Thanks for the replies ...

Well she turned up with the police earlier to collect some belongings and they said even though the cars in my name, I have receipt to prove I bought it, because she used it I have to sort the matter out in the courts, which I find unbelievable to be honest, but the guy said even if she can prove she used the car to buy groceries of which some I eat, then she has entitlement to keep the car. How the hell does THAT work !?!?!

Anyway, thanks again and I'll have to seek legal advice I suppose.

Users Country Flag
    Mate, you will always loose in this type of situation, one way or another.. As others have said, only way is a tow truck to the dealer.. All the best.

Well the latest state of play is I know where she works, albeit only till the 6th when her contract runs out. I have an offer from a repo guy who'll gladly put on his flatbed and take to the nearest VW garage. From there I get a key cut and sell the car. Option 2 is I go there myself, removed the plates and KEEP them, don't unregister it. I've been told while the car is in my name and still registered she won't be able to drive it without plates, OR register it as she's have to forge my signature on a bill of sale, get roadworthy and all the rest.

Just weighing up the odds for now as the car will be at her work from tomorrow till the 6th.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul501 View Post
    Well the latest state of play is I know where she works, albeit only till the 6th when her contract runs out. I have an offer from a repo guy who'll gladly put on his flatbed and take to the nearest VW garage. From there I get a key cut and sell the car. Option 2 is I go there myself, removed the plates and KEEP them, don't unregister it. I've been told while the car is in my name and still registered she won't be able to drive it without plates, OR register it as she's have to forge my signature on a bill of sale, get roadworthy and all the rest.

Just weighing up the odds for now as the car will be at her work from tomorrow till the 6th.
    Before you do ANYTHING I suggest you discuss options with a lawyer. Otherwise you maybe doing so from a defensive position if you do the wrong thing

Lawyer $100+ Key $350 Flatdeck $200 +
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Before you do ANYTHING I suggest you discuss options with a lawyer. Otherwise you maybe doing so from a defensive position if you do the wrong thing

Lawyer $100+ Key $350 Flatdeck $200 +
    Yeah for sure! I tried phoning a few today but it seems everyone is back to work tomorrow so will discuss it with someone before I do anything, but I AM told I can't be arrested for any of the above. I can't be arrested for having MY vehicle picked up and taken to VW because I've lost my only key, and I can't get in trouble for removing plates from my own car! ... but yeah I don't need any more agg than I already have ahead of me so I might even give here the option of buying it from me for a give away price to save on any agg, just don't know what is best at the mo.

Users Country Flag
    As we're not privvy to the full set of circumstances here, and understandably so, the car may become part of the asset settlement further down the road. If she has chosen to take it now, and wishes to keep it, then whatever it's valued at, will be factored into settlement. That is of course if she's entitled to anything at all.

At this point in time, I'd be seeking legal advice before doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    As we're not privvy to the full set of circumstances here, and understandably so, the car may become part of the asset settlement further down the road. If she has chosen to take it now, and wishes to keep it, then whatever it's valued at, will be factored into settlement. That is of course if she's entitled to anything at all.

At this point in time, I'd be seeking legal advice before doing anything.
    I hear you, and why I'll be doing nothing till I've spoke to a legal.

28yrs together defacto which is as good as married I'm told. 2 kids in their 20's both left home, and in the last 3-4 years she's worked for the last 4 months and that contract ends on the 6th of Jan. I've pretty much paid for EVERYTHING for years, but dunno why I'm saying all this as after all I doubt any legal people will be reading this but hey you never know!

Will see what I can get from a legal tomorrow.

Thanks ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast