Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rattle from rear suspension

Rattle from rear suspension

Hi all
    I have an intermittent rattle which sounds like it is coming from the direction of the rear suspension on the passengers side. It sounds like something is loose and wobbling. It only really occurs when going over speed humps or pot holes int he road. Any tips as to what it may be? Cannot find anything obvious myself and of course when I have been to the dealers cannot replicate the sound for long enough for them to determine where it is coming from.

Thanks in advance
    Mk VI 5 Door GTI - Tornado Red, Manual, Tint, MDI. Finally its mine all mine.

Users Country Flag
    If you think it's coming from the suspension, then go to your dealer and get it checked out

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam View Post
    Hi all
    I have an intermittent rattle which sounds like it is coming from the direction of the rear suspension on the passengers side. It sounds like something is loose and wobbling. It only really occurs when going over speed humps or pot holes int he road. Any tips as to what it may be? Cannot find anything obvious myself and of course when I have been to the dealers cannot replicate the sound for long enough for them to determine where it is coming from.

Thanks in advance
    Maybe even something like the exhaust at the rear could be loose.

But yes, take it to the dealer..
    2010 MY11 GOLF R - 5DR | DSG | RISING BLUE | DYNAUDIO + ACC + BLUETOOTH + 19s + RNS510 |

2017 MY17 TIGUAN HIGHLINE - 5DR | DSG | PEARL BLACK | SUNROOF + DAP |

I reckon I have the same... At first I thought it was the roof racks but now think it sounds more like a loom rattling on the roof lining or trim. Doesn't sound/feel like suspension - too loud in the car, not muffled.
    It also only happens over speed humps etc and is not always synonymous with suspension activity. Same location though, rear passenger side.

Haven't taken it in yet, but will.
    2011 Golf R - 5dr, DSG, Candy White, Black 19's, Recaro's, Sunroof, Bluetooth, MDI, APR Stage 1 Pics Here
    2008 Lotus Elise - Solar Yellow, LTC, 2bular SS Exhaust
    2007 Ford Falcon BF2 XR6 Ute - Black

I think I used to have this but not anymore. Read on some thread that it might be the parcel shelf actually.
    MkVI Golf GTI | Candy White | DSG | Leather | Bi-xenon | Sunroof | Dynaudio | Park Assist | MDI | Tint | FINALLY RECEIVED!!

Thanks for all the replies. I have had the dealer look at it once will take it back again and try to replicate it. Will also look at the parcel shelf maybe even remove it and see if noise is still there. Other than that I guess I will have to get the dealer to check the suspension again.

Any other suggestions keep them coming.
    Mk VI 5 Door GTI - Tornado Red, Manual, Tint, MDI. Finally its mine all mine.

oddly enough, i noticed that on mine today too. could swear it was from the door though. or the seat. i cant tell, these rattles are never there for long but they do bug the hell out of you when they come back to visit.

i heard rattles on my 2months old 118TSI, i only notice it when i drive home from the gym at night, the surrounding conditions when i notice this rattle were:

1) the car was cold
    2) driving down the speed hump/drive way at diagonally (usually the car will be towards the left), the "speed hump" are the platform type ones

i notice the rattle only during the time after the gym, i also drive out driveways diagonally during mid-day and don't usually notice the rattle, i also believe its the door/seat/interior on the passenger side.

i dont notice in other times mayb because the area was noisy

Users Country Flag
    I kinda have the same problem. I don't know how a rattle sound like but mine rather squeaks. Everytime my car drives in an uneven roads or go over a pot hole or bumps, my car starts to squeak around the the driver and rear side. Maybe its the suspension or something went loose in the car?

Users Country Flag

I had that (a squeak, instead of rattle, over uneven roads) in my 9N3 Polo GTI and it turned out to be the rear suspension mounts.

But either way... go to your dealer and get it properly diagnosed and addressed. It's practically impossible to diagnose "noises" of the interwebs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast