Thread: Ok so I got the emissions update :-(

Users Country Flag

Ok so I got the emissions update :-(

The car was ok for two years but now the EGR has failed. I am thinking about replacing it but I have concerns from what I've read particularly on the UK sites about the issue recurring. I gather that I can blank the EGR and be done with the emissions systems problems. On the other hand this seems a little heavy handed. Has anyone else got the update? If I replace the EGR will I get 5+ years from it as the dealership suggests. I am concerned that these problems will be onging. Any insights would be much appreciated!

Users Country Flag

Ok so I got the emissions update :-(

The EGR’s normally “fail” because over time they get blocked up with carbon and soot etc and then the EGR valve physically can’t move any longer.

The offending parts can be removed, cleaned and refitted and they are essentially good-as-new again.

Have a look at this guys FB page, he does these types of cleans on diesels day in day out. You would need the “stage 2” clean which he quote me around $900 to physically remove the EGR and inlet manifold etc and clean and refit.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Lucas,
    Cheers. I already had a clean done. It cost me around $800. Yes I thought a clean should fix it also? The same company then said I should blank the egr. VW service says I should replace the EGR because its faulty for $1600. I guess that should cover anything that might come up?