Support VWWC

Thread: Oil temp consistently 110 degrees, long cool downs - Golf R

Oil temp consistently 110 degrees, long cool downs - Golf R

My MY13 golf R has been showing an oil temp (on the electronic dash within the menu), of about 109-111 degrees.
    And also recently, the water temp gauge on the dash has moved from its usual 90, to around 110, 105, etc, and is not going back down to 90.

I had the timing belt and water pump service done several months ago.

The car also always has the fan running when I turn the car off for several minutes which I didn't notice much before.

Faulty sensor? What else causes the car to run hot?
    It did get too low on oil the other month and I topped it up, and am about to do a full oil change, so I'm wondering if the oil broke down quickly when it was too low.

Note I'm also getting a metallic rattle at 1200rpm (which is the cold start idle on my Stage 2 tune), which I'm hoping is unrelated and just something to do with my new downpipe rubbing, but I'll be getting that looked at too.

Just worried my engine is in some dire straights!

Users Country Flag
    Hmmm something doesnt sound right. I owned a Mk6 R from brand new for 4+ years that went from stock to stage 2+ and never saw oil temps above 100. My water temp gauge never went above the indicated 90 degrees either.

Best get your mechanic to have a look over everything.

As for the rattle, its probably the aftermarket downpipe rattling on a heatshield near the subframe mount - happened on mine too.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

It was the thermostat. $500 later the water temp is back to 90, and oil now around 88 degrees.
    Much better! And the fan is no longer running when I switch the car off

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by McDub View Post
    It was the thermostat. $500 later the water temp is back to 90, and oil now around 88 degrees.
    Much better! And the fan is no longer running when I switch the car off
    I believe the water pump and thermostat is one unit on these engines, so it was probably faulty when it was replaced initially.

Good to hear its fixed now.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler