Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OEM GTI exhaust on TSI

Users Country Flag

OEM GTI exhaust on TSI

Hey guys, my mk6 TSI rear bumper needs to be replaced as it’s scratched and dented. I was considering replacing with a GTI bumper (as this will cost the same as a TSI one) and grabbing the exhaust system off a GTI as well as I like the dual exhaust look. Is the GTI exhaust welded so it’s one piece or does it bolt together like an aftermarket exhaust?

Ps. I know this doesn’t improve performance or sound.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunza View Post
    Hey guys, my mk6 TSI rear bumper needs to be replaced as it’s scratched and dented. I was considering replacing with a GTI bumper (as this will cost the same as a TSI one) and grabbing the exhaust system off a GTI as well as I like the dual exhaust look. Is the GTI exhaust welded so it’s one piece or does it bolt together like an aftermarket exhaust?

Ps. I know this doesn’t improve performance or sound.
    It will actually improve the sound a little bit. The GTI exhaust is 2.5" whereas the TSI is 2.25", so a little bit bigger. No performance improvement.

I can't say about the stock MK6 GTI exhaust but the MK7/7.5 is in 2 pieces OEM GTI. Its a worthwhile upgrade IMO, I have done it to the MK7.5
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    This is what a GTI exhaust looks like at the rear:

There has been a number of thread on this before and I vaguely looked into this years ago and never quite worked out if it was possible (for my 118TSI).

From what I understand the bumper itself is the same and it's the black plastic spoiler insert that changes and it appears that they are interchangeable. (EDIT: Although maybe it's not??)

Again for that 118 I believe the exhaust comes out at a different point in the engine bay, not sure on other models.

If you're only looking at the rear silencer and exhaust pipes and looking at what limited information I can find, the pictures *look* like the input is in the same place. Finding photos of a GTI or an R exhaust are easy... other models are much harder since the performance market tends to focus on the performance models

Now you have me interested though, if the GTI dual pipe section simply bolts in AND you can get one very cheap AND you pull the real plastic insert off with it... maybe it is a drop in part. But then there is the flip side, unless you're getting a GTI exhaust for free (or very very cheap), It's probably cheaper getting an exhaust place to put together a custom dual pipe setup.
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 24-07-2020 at 02:29 PM.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    The stock exhaust on my Mk6 GTI never had the join (#4 on the illustration above), it was all one piece from the rear muffler right up to #3 join as illustrated on the above diagram. Either way, if any modifications are needed to join the GTI cat back exhaust up to the TSI front pipe, an exhaust shop could fabricate up whatever you need for a small cost.

You can normally pickup a Mk6 GTI stock exhaust for $100 or so, as they are basically worthless if someone has upgraded.

Also, you will need a full GTI rear bumper and bottom plastic diffuser. Although the TSI and GTI rear bumper look to be the same, they are actually very subtly different and a GTI diffuser wont fit onto a TSI rear bumper. So you need a full GTI rear bumper and diffuser.

And if you are chasing a bit more sound, a very common/popular mod is to have the middle muffler removed altogether and replaced with a section of exhaust pipe.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 24-07-2020 at 03:28 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Now that you say that, I vaguely recall coming to that conclusion, although finding anything definitive is hard since most mods tend to be to the GTI/R models. That would mean that if you're replacing the bumper you could do it with the right parts... or you could just hack up the OEM plastic bumper

Weirdly the photo I randomly found also doesn't have that connector, but you're right, that should be very easy for a workshop to fix up.

...reading all this makes me want to tinker again

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the reply guys, I really appreciate it and have helped me tones. You definitely need a new bumper as Lucas R said. I’ve researched this myself for a while

Today I actually saw a guy selling a GTI exhaust on one of the car pages and I’m going to get it tomorrow. I got it for $50 which is I’m happy with. He put an aftermarket resonator on it too which is nice but I hope it isn’t loud as this isn’t what I am going for haha.

It’s in two pieces as the guy got it removed today and had to get it in his car. So I’ll just take it to an exhaust shop to weld it on. Anyone know an estimate fee for a weld like this from an exhaust shop? Thanks again guys

OEM GTI exhaust on TSI

Hi guys, thought I’d update with how it went. I’ve had it all done now for a month or so. The exhaust was installed just before the resonator and runs the same path (plug and play essentially).

I paid $200 for a bumper from local wrecker, the exhaust and installation for $100. Overall happy with the finish product.

Users Country Flag
    How does it sound? Much difference?
    MY08 Golf MkV GT-Sport

Users Country Flag
    That's awesome, glad it worked out for you so simply!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdManFJ View Post
    How does it sound? Much difference?
    It actually did sound quite different (mainly due to the smaller resonator). It’s only louder on lower gears and speed but once you’re doing 60kms, you don’t hear. I like how it turned out and I’ve had a few people compliment it also which is nice.

Thanks man, appreciate your help also @The_Hawk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast