Thread: 2012 GTD - Wont Start - New Battery - Relay Clicking + Fan On

Users Country Flag

Lightbulb 2012 GTD - Wont Start - New Battery - Relay Clicking + Fan On

Just got back from 3wks away and battery had died. Charged overnight and started.

1. Driving home and 120km from start and 120km to go it shut down and I rolled to a stop.
    Pulled over, didn't start the first time but 3 sec later it did. Continued 500m down the road for 30mins.

2. It started and drove for another 5km and died again and I rolled to a stop.

3. It started straight away and attempt #3 got me another 5km and I decided to call RACQ. It got towed home.

Now I'm home, i've replaced the battery and it cranks but doesnt start.
    I've changed the fuel filter and same as above.

2 things I've noticed:
    - the fan comes on whilst the key is in accessory and the car hasn't run for 24hrs.
    - disconnect and reconnect battery, no noise. Try to start it and when I stop, remove the key there is a relay click under the HV fuses in the engine bay and I can here a pump trying to turn over. I've disconnected a few different electronics but not sure what is trying to turn over.

Any help would be great.

My OBD from OBD Aus says a CAN bus issue (can be battery related) and an Engine Control Module (fault 01314) which is more concerning.

On the dash I have a battery light, engine light, seat belt light, traction control light and TPMS alert light all illuminated plus the ESP Error.

NOTE: When i reconnect the battery I do the VW steering wheel turn lock to lock to remove the steering wheel light but the ESP Error remains.

TIA

Users Country Flag
    Got the cables around the correct way???
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Fans running full blast, and the engine won't start typically means the ECU has not booted up, no power or dead.

With your scan, do all the other modules respond? If so I would be looking at power to the ECU, fuses first, then power at the ECU connector.

If other modules don't respond, check the gateway
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Got the cables around the correct way???
    Which cables?
    The battery +ve and -ve? Yes

Quote Originally Posted by MIG View Post
    Fans running full blast, and the engine won't start typically means the ECU has not booted up, no power or dead.

With your scan, do all the other modules respond? If so I would be looking at power to the ECU, fuses first, then power at the ECU connector.

If other modules don't respond, check the gateway
    These are the errors:
    OBD-II
    Data Bus, engine control unit (ECM) A - no communication (U0100)
    02. Transmission Control
    P1850 Data Bus Drive: no messages from engine control unit (1825

03. ABS Control
    Tire Pressure Alarm - pending fault (02214)
    ECU - pending fault present Test conditions met

@MIG,
    The ECU seems to be getting power and all fuses are good.
    This is a full export from the OBD scan which shows some modules are responding.

Any other thoughts?

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
    Version: 1.102.2/1.102.2/iOS
    DTC report
    Connection profile: Volkswagen OBD-II / EOBD Diesel DPF var.1Date: 3/15/2024 8:14:03 AM
    ============================
    OBD-IIOBD-II

U0100 [0xC100]
    Data bus, engine control module (ECM) A - no communication

P0914 [0x0914]
    Gear shift position circuit - malfunction

P0864 [0x0864]
    Transmission control module (TCM), communication - range/performance problem

U0103 [0xC103]
    Data bus, gear shift module - no communication
    19. CAN Gateway19. CAN Gateway

01312 [0x0520]
    Data bus drive
    Status: Test conditions are met, Validated and stored in non volatile memory

01314 [0x0522]

Engine control unit
    Status: Test conditions are met, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request

01303 [0x0517]

Phone Transceiver-R36; Transmitter and receiver for telephone R36
    Status: Test conditions are met, Test has not been completed, Validated and stored in non volatile memory
    09. Onboard supply control unit09. Onboard supply control unit

00988 [0x03DC]
    Right Brake Light Lamp-M10; Right brake light bulb-M10
    Status: Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory

01314 [0x0522]
    Engine control unit
    Status: Test conditions are met, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request

03266 [0x0CC2]
    Status: Pending fault present, Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory

00987 [0x03DB]
    Left Brake Light Lamp-M9; Left brake light bulb-M9
    Status: Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory

00778 [0x030A]
    Steering Angle Sensor-G85; Steering angle sender G85

01309 [0x051D]
    Power steering control unit-J500

01315 [0x0523]
    Gearbox control unit; Transmission control unit

01316 [0x0524]
    Brake control unit
    02. Transmission control unit02. Transmission control unit

28907 [0x70EB]
    U0235 Adaptive Cruise Control: No Communication
    Status: Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request

18258 [0x4752]
    P1850 Data bus drive: no messages from the engine control unit; Data bus drive missing message from engine control unit
    Status: Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request

01196 [0x04AC]
    Engine and gearbox data bus; Engine / transmission data bus

18270 [0x475E] Archive (inactive)
    P1862 Data bus drive: no messages from the instrument cluster; Data bus drive missing message from the instrument cluster

18097 [0x46B1] Archive (inactive)
    P1689 Data bus drive: implausible message from the central switching unit; Data bus drive implausible message from electronic central electrics

18036 [0x4674] Archive (inactive)
    P1628 Drive data bus: no messages from the steering angle sensor; Data bus drive missing message from the steering angle sender

18275 [0x4763] Archive (inactive)
    P1867 Drive data bus: no messages from the steering column control unit J527; Data bus drive missing messages from steering column electronics J527

18261 [0x4755] Archive (inactive)
    P1853 Data bus drive: implausible message from the ABS control unit; Data bus drive implausible message from ABS control unit

00653 [0x028D]
    Reliability of the data from the automatic transmission / gear selector; Plausibility selector lever / transmission
    03. ABS control unit03. ABS control unit

02214 [0x08A6]
    Tire Pressure Alarm; Tire pressure warning
    Status: Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Validated and stored in non volatile memory

01314 [0x0522]
    Engine control unit
    Status: Pending fault present, Test conditions are met, Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory

01299 [0x0513]
    Data Bus Diagnostic Interface-J533; Diagnostic interface for data bus J533; Wrong immobilizer code

01309 [0x051D]
    Power steering control unit-J500

01317 [0x0525]
    The control unit in the instrument cluster-J285; Control Module in Instrument Cluster (J285); Control unit in dash panel insert-J285

01321 [0x0529]
    Airbag Control Unit-J234; Airbag control unit J234

01312 [0x0520]
    Data bus drive

00778 [0x030A]
    Steering Angle Sensor-G85; Steering angle sender G85
    01. Engine control unit
    No DTC found.
    08. Heater and climate08. Heater and climate

13701376 [0xD11100]
    17. Dashboard17. Dashboard

12648448 [0xC10000]
    25. Immobilizer
    No DTC found.
    44. Power steering44. Power steering

03803 [0x0EDB]
    Status: Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle

01312 [0x0520]
    Data bus drive
    Status: Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Test conditions are met, Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory

01314 [0x0522]
    Engine control unit