Support VWWC

Thread: Not another one.. Catback exhausts..

Not another one.. Catback exhausts..

Hi guys..

Toying up which direction to travel surrounding a catback exhaust, seemingly the exhausts for these bad boys can set you back quite a bit & I was curious as to thoughts on custom exhausts if anybody has them!

Iv got the oem exhaust but previous owner removed the muffler & res but it sounds horrible..

Alternatively is it a common occurrence that you see second hand exhausts from reputable brands come up for sale?

My thoughts had been cobb catback as iv heard good things about their quality & I'm chasing a clean respectable deep tone with minimal drone that won't annoy the hell out of the neighbors.

Budget permits me to around 1200 tops approx so I'm limited in regards to the top brands (milltek, akra etc).

Im sure this thread has been posted before but I'm hoping to receive more specific responses that are relevant to my situation & up to date.

Thanks in advance guys,
    Dylan.

Users Country Flag
    If your budget is $1200 then save your money for a few more weeks get the CTS catback. I had one on my Mk6 GTI and it looked great and sounded really nice (might be too quiet for some but you could have the mid muffler removed for around $100 to make it louder).

CTS Turbo MK6 GTI 3 Cat Back Exhaust [CTS-EXH-CB-0002] - $1,499.00 : Dub Addiction

Last edited by Lucas_R; 24-09-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    If your budget is $1200 then save your money for a few more weeks get the CTS catback. I had one on my Mk6 GTI and it looked great and sounded really nice (might be too quiet for some but you could have the mid muffler removed for around $100 to make it louder).

CTS Turbo MK6 GTI 3 Cat Back Exhaust [CTS-EXH-CB-0002] - $1,499.00 : Dub Addiction

Legend, thanks for the reply! Sounds the goods and looks the part.. Will definetly look into that.. you find it easy to fit & do you know if it fits aftermarket downpipes?

Thanks for the reply! Definetly look into them as it looks and sounds the goods..
    How did you find the fitting? Do you think it would fit onto an aftermarket downpipe without dramas?
    Thanks,
    Dylan.

+ 1 for CTS too. Had the cat back on my GTI for a couple of years and still love it. Nice note- but not too loud.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GtiV13 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Definetly look into them as it looks and sounds the goods..
    How did you find the fitting? Do you think it would fit onto an aftermarket downpipe without dramas?
    Thanks,
    Dylan.
    I had mine fitted up to a EuroJet downpipe - fitted and lined up just fine but i found that when the exhaust got warm and expanded it was rubbing on a part of the underbody. I took it to my exhaust shop and he re-aligned the exhaust and adjusted some of the hangars and it was all good (i had installed the exhaust at home with the car jacked up).

Users Country Flag
    I was runing OE downpipe + Milltek Catback (non-resonated) and got satisfying sound.
    I changed to the downpipe to CTS 3'' downpipe, not much difference in idle but even louder when pressing deep on the throttle.

However, when I have gentle acceleration, I get a "zipper-like" sound after I changed the downpipe. Not sure if the others would have the same.

By the way, you may negotiate with your supplier/ installer for a bette deal for Milltek?

Cheers for the replies gents. Appreciate it.. I ended up shelling out for a cobb Catback Exhaust.. couldn't pass up the price I got from prospeed racing, 990 delivered.
    Checked out clips and reviews so am hoping based on that this exhaust should be decent.
    Never fitted one myself but looks relatively straight forward.
    Feel free to chime in on thoughts re my purchase! Haven't seen much on this exhaust on this forum so interested to hear what people think.